[at-l] AT in Baxter still closed on Katahdin (5-31)

   The Directionally Challenged are being toyed with by Pamola ( the Spirit
of Kahtadin ). As of Sat, the Baxter State Park people still had Kahtahdin
closed above treeline. That means, of course Southbounders couldn't start at
the AT terminus at Baxter Peak. The rangers I spoke with said the trail out
was under water, with the Katahdin Stream crossing crotch deep in ice water!
Brrrrrrrr! I met Dan Briggs, a southbound hiker with no trail name yet ( good
for him! ) who was bumming big time. He was with his wife and he had a friend
with him who was going to do the 100 mile with him. I climbed the Hunt Trail,
( the AT ) up to treeline on Sat, the last mile was a brook, and then two
feet of slush/snow where I turned back. Met Dan coming up, and I think he was
going to try to bootleg up to the top. I hope not, cause when I got down, the
rangers were using spotting scopes to monitor the trail. And they delight in
issuing summonses. Some southbounders had skipped around the Park and were
starting south from Abol Bridge. Once again, the Mountain wins!  HappyTrails!
TraderJohn