Re: [at-l] Little things

At 05:55 PM 5/29/97 PDT, William D Horning wrote:
>Just a few responses on:
>
>WATER FILTERS:
>Anybody using the MSR Miniworks?   Any comments?

I use one.  My Sweetwater Guardian broke on a trip and rather than repair
it (it wouldn't have cost me anything) I traded it in at EMS for the MSR.
I got the MSR instead of the PUR Hiker because I liked the way the filter
attaches directly to Nalgene style bottles, and because I liked the little
cover that keeps the output end of the filter clean when not in use.  I did
not like futzing with the two hoses on the Sweetwater Guardian, and the
Hiker uses a similar system.

I've used the filter on two trips, about 6 days, so far and am getting used
to it.  It definitly doesn't pump as fast as the Hiker, but it seems fast
enough for me.  It is also two or three ounces heavier than the PUR Hiker
and Sweetwater Guardian.  It is easy to clean, and can be cleaned many
times before the filter element has to be replaced.  The filter is easy to
pump, and is designed so you don't have to worry about pinching your fingers.

One hint is to start pumping with the filter upside down... that way no
large air bubble can get trapped in the pump chamber.  If a large bubble
does form, you can turn the pump upside down at any time (this is mentioned
in the manual).

And, of course, the pump part of this filter is transparent which makes it
cool to watch!

>B/P'ing WITH KIDS:
>Jim, this was SO cool.  My wife & I are expecting our first, and I'm
>already planning!  (My wife thinks I'm kidding when I say I'm going to
>show up at the hospital with little pairs of ski boots & hiking

Thanks!  I'm glad you liked the posting.

-- Jim Mayer