[at-l] shoe repair goop

ok list, i have found a shoe repair substance that works really well.  it
is an epoxy called JB Weld, found at most hardware stores.  they use this
stuff to repair enigine blocks, among other things.  i have used it to
repair a leaky sink, broken pottery, a broken tine on a garden fork, and
most relevantly, peeling rubber on the left toe of my boot (yeah, yeah,
it's a one sport model).

you mix a black goo with a white goo in equal parts to create a grey goop
(this is straight from the instructions).  apply to both parts, stick em
together, apply light pressure to hold in place (i used duct tape for my
boots).  let set for 24 hrs.  the goop hardens to something resembling
ceramic, and can be filed, sanded or ground down.

i applied this a few days before trail days.  wore them in my travels
before hiking, then 5 days on the trail, then a few days at trail days.
the stuff is still rock hard, and the toe is still firmly affixed to the
rest of the boot.  i even stubbed my toe a couple times right on the weld
(scrapes to prove it).  in my best gear-weenie manner, i was proudly
showing it to anyone who cared, and many who didn't.  wes at mt rogers
outfitters was astounded, he saw the boots before and after the hike, and
is going to recommend the stuff from now on.

the problem on a thru hike is the 24hr set up time, but that's what days
off are for, i guess - food, rest, sleep and boot repair.

if anyone else tries this, let me know how it goes.

mike
ke kaahawe