Re: [at-l] 98 thru hike

 Carrie Dunning wrote:>

> I just decided yesterday to do a '98 thru hike! I had been toying with the
> idea, but wasn't sure, and last week I actually set foot on the AT for the
> first time (in SNP) and knew I had to do it.

Congratuations! You'll be the envy of alot of folks.

>  Now I feel clueless! I know I have less planning time than others, but
> I'm sure I can do it.

Less time?! You have like twice the time I had. I made the decision final
in maybe December last year (I leave in 20 something days)

>I've learned a lot from lurking around here, but I'm
> a pretty inexperienced backpacker, so I'd welcome any planning tips, or
> info on what others are doing/have done to prepare.

You have a great resource in this list. Stay tuned in and you'll learn
learn alot. I'd suggest going on as many hiking trips as you can between
now and then to get familiar with your gear, get in shape, and learn if
this is really for you.

I read alot of on-line journals when I was kicking the idea aorund and it
gave me a very good look into what thru-hiking involves emotionally,
physically, and mentally. I'd suggest reading as many as you can (try
Wingfoot's page) and the link on Kathy Bilton's AT homepage.

Talk to other AT hikers, especially someone who has completed a thru. I
spoke with many both on and off the trail, in person and on-line.

>  Also, I don't graduate until late April, and won't be able to start until
> May 1 or so. I'm a little worried that won't give me enough time. I might
> be able to start during my spring break in March, do 10 days or so, and
> then go back to finish school, but that might get expensive. Any
> suggestions?

I'd suggest waiting a month or so and doing a southbound hike if you don't
mind the solitude. Or do a flip-flop, hike north to Harper's Ferry or so,
then get off the trail, travel to Maine and start southbound. you'll
complete your hike in Harper's Ferry (or wherever you left the trail).

People on this list are very helpful and generous, you can usually find
the info you need through them. I'm sure you`ll get alot of responses and
good luck!

Will Strickland -ANTELOPE- ME->GA '97
"May the four winds blow you safely home..."
  -- Grateful Dead--
Internet: gt0556d@prism.gatech.edu