[at-l] do you folks excercise?

Jabberwocky asked

> 	Do you guys excercise when you're off the Trail?
> 	When I hit the AT again in about 4 years, I wanna be in killer shape (I
> wasn't last time!).  I've been running through a nearby hilly subdivision
> consistently for 2 months now (feel free to pat me on the back..).......and
> what I want to know is What excercises would help me with load bearing day
> after day hiking?
> 	What excercises do you guys do?

You can put me down as a cyclist.  I've been doing 2000 miles
outdoors each year (here in Cleveland, that means between April and
Oct).  One thing that you need when hiking is the ability to draw on
lots of calories for hour after hour; you develop some of that
ability from 50 mile bicycle rides.   Also, cycling teaches the knees
not to complain about doing some work (well, they complain at first,
but eventualy they shut up).  And ankles get well-developed in
cycling (in fact, good cyling form is known as "ankling").  By the
time I hit the trail, I can do 15 miles a day on flat trails (OK,
thru-hikers are not impressed, but it makes for a pleasant
section-hike).

Bob Shroy