[at-l] re: Bear stare

>  Anyway, there are basically 2 schools of thought on bears and dealing with
>them. The first school of thought I will call the PLAY DEAD school
>and has generally been the most promoted method among the unarmed backpacking
>community, but is giving way to the the second method, which I will call the IN
>YOUR FACE school.

Great post Alan!  What would be the best thing to do in a situation where
you first come upon a bear and it hasn't had any time to exhibit any
behaviour?  I'm assuming the best thing to do would be to avoid eye contact
and slowly back off?  Algonquin Park up here has black bears, but I didn't
see any on my recent trip....can't say I'm *too* disappointed... :))

Slainte,
Cindi