[at-l] re: Bear stare

  Oops, no sooner do I open my mouth and send that last message, than I pick up
the one section of the newspaper that I had not read yet and read a huge
article on - you guessed? - bear behavior.  Basically, the article says what
I already covered.  However, it recommends the reading of 2 books on the
subject, if you want to pursue this any further: "Bear Attacks: their causes
and avoidance" by Canadian biologist Stephen Herrero, 1985 (soon to be re-
published in new, updated edition); and "Backcountry Bear Basics - the
definitive guide to avoiding unpleasant encounters" by David Smith of Seward,
Alaska, 1997.

Alan