[at-l] SLACKPACK TOUR

1997 SLACKPACK TOUR OF THE APPALACHIAN TRAIL
also visit website "www.geocities.com/yosemite/trails/4404"

MAY 20, 1997 - TUESDAY

	PETER PAN prepared a BREAKFAST CASSEROLE for us.  since this was
our last day at PETER PAN's and TIMMY's, we busied ourselves reloading
the van, the contents of which had spread throughout the house and garage
during our six day stay...
	SUNSHINE and i started our hike at McQUEENS GAP (USFS 69) and
headed for DAMASCUS, VA.  it was overcast, but not cold.  the gentle rain
began to fall shortly after we started out, intensifying as we continued,
and stopped shortly before our destination.  i rather enjoyed it...
	per a previous plan, GILA MAN, PANTHER FAN, PETER PAN, and TIMMY
were waiting outside of QUINCYS PIZZA, in DAMASCUS, as SUNSHINE and i
arrived.  TIMMY had purchased new boots earlier in the day, and intended
to join us for the second leg of our hike.  we all had PIZZA, except
PANTHER FAN, who had a STROMBOLI.  SUNSHINE and i had BAKED PASTRIES for
dessert...
	SUNSHINE and TIMMY hiked out, and i followed shortly thereafter,
with a destination of STRAIGHT BRANCH (US 58).  at arrival, we all
scouted for tent sites, of which there are many, but not many in any one
spot.  TIMMY and SUNSHINE set up tents back up the trail about 100 yards,
PANTHER FAN crossed the road and headed up the trail a ways to pitch his
tent, GILA MAN and i stayed near the van at the road crossing.  we all
ate supper individually, then headed for the tents...

MAY 21, 1997 - WEDNESDAY

	i had tented next to a stream, and had a wonderful nights sleep.
SUNSHINE was out first, then TIMMY, then me, of course.  the first part
of the hike paralleled the VIRGINIA CREEPER TRAIL, an old railbed.  then
the trail switchbacked up STRAIGHT MOUNTAIN to SAUNDERS shelter.  there
were a number of hikers still at the shelter.  WILLOW, a young canadian
women, is the only name that i recall...
	the trail then diversified for a number of miles, then hooked up
with the VIRGINIA CREEPER TRAIL.  it then headed up LOST MOUNTAIN and to
a shelter.  at he shelter was TIMMY, and a fellow named VICE VERSA.  a
hiker named MOOSE, who i had been leap-frogging, showed up, then a fellow
from SOUTH AFRICA.  i don't recall his name.  i took my shoes off, ate a
large lunch, and read a chapter or two.  the next interesting sight was
COWS, and COW PLOPS.  these were the first cows that i had seen along the
trail...
	a long, long climb gets you to BUZZARD ROCK, with wonderful
views.  directly after this, the trail is poorly marked.  it appears to
go up to the top of WHITETOP MOUNTAIN, and many hikers take that route.
there are white blazes, gray blazes, and blue blazes, along that route.
eventually everyone realizes that they have made a mistake, and retrace
their steps.  there is then a danger of catching the actual trail in an
odd spot and hiking in the wrong direction.  a better blazing system
needs to be used for this area...
	our destination was ELK GARDEN (VA 600).  of course, GILAMAN and
PANTHER FAN were there, and had scoped out good tenting sights.  also
tenting there were TAGALONG and FREE SPIRIT, two ladies hiking together,
and MOOSE.  we had PASTA for supper, then, as the temperature dropped, a
camp fire.  we all sat around the fire trying to keep warm, drifting into
our tents one by one...

MAY 22, 1997 - THURSDAY

	it was cold in morning.  we all drifted down to eat, then began
hiking separately.  i was next to last to leave.  TAGALONG was not in any
hurry.  i caught up with FREE SPIRIT, and hiked with her for a while.  we
talked about many things, including the SLACKPACK TOUR.  she will
probably be joining our happy little troupe at PEARISBURG, VA...
	there were WILD PONIES at THOMAS KNOB shelter, and WISE shelter!
they like to mooch snacks, and lick anything that is salty.  hikers that
i met:  BRIAR (an older gentlemen that had blown out his knee early in
his hike, then took off four weeks, and is now hiking strong),
GLOBETROTTER (visit website "www.trailplace.com" to read his journal),
SUMMER BREEZE (a young lady), KATYDID (another young lady), and VICE
VERSA.  i hiked a while with MOOSE through GRAYSON HIGHLANDS...
	there is a long section of trail that has blue, white, and gray
blazes again.  this is irritating, ambiguous, and needs to be
corrected...
	the van was at FOX CREEK (VA 603) when i arrived.  i was the last
one in, and pulled SUMMER BREEZE and GLOBETROTTER with me.  SUMMER was
having serious foot problems, and needed to get off of the trail.  i told
her that GILA MAN and PANTHER FAN could help out in the morning...
	we drove up the road a short ways to a campsite and pitched our
tents.  this campsite was primarily intended for horse people, and there
were horses and horse sh-t everywhere...

MAY 23, 1997 - FRIDAY

	the weather had been wonderful ever since the rain a few days
ago, and this day was no exception.  it has been nice hiking in clear,
windless, dry weather.  the hike was fairly unremarkable, except for the
fact that it was our longest mileage day yet (19.1 miles)...
	SUNSHINE and i have modified our hiking styles in an effort to
compensate for the long miles.  we are taking long breaks at midday,
eating more, and drinking much more water.  this approach seems to be
working for us.  TIMMY has not yet found a comfortable style, and is
suffering at times.  she also is coming off of a short hiatus from
hiking, and has new boots.  it may take her a bit longer to adjust...
	PETER PAN and PANTHER FAN met us at VA 601, then we drove to
RACCOON CREEK CAMPGROUND, on VA 16.  GILA MAN was there, and had setup
all of our tents.  we cleaned up (no showers, unfortunately), then drove
to MARION, VA, to a mexican restaurant.  this was a last minute, and
unexpected delight.  we came back fat and sassy, and ready for sleep...

MAY 24, 1997 - SATURDAY

	this may be the last good weather day for a while.  the forecast
is rain, rain, rain.  another of TIMMY's cousins, and her family, joined
us on the trail today.  we may meet everyone on her family tree by the
time this hike is over!  the trail in the beginning was a rocky roller
coaster and unscenic, but having new people along kept it interesting...
	the last four or five miles of the hike into the VILLAGE MOTEL
(I-81, US 11, VA 683) was very nice.  i heard a train off in the distance
at one point while still in the mountains, then the interstate highway
sounds became apparent, then the valley became visible.  knowing that
there would be flush toilets at our destination, my body began
preparations.  it finally became a race to get to the motel, with my body
determined to win the race...
	the motel was polluted with hikers, a few old faces, and a bunch
of new faces.  the restaurant at the motel welcomes hikers (good thing),
and a large group of hikers took over one whole section.  it was loud and
enjoyable.  a trip to DAIRY QUEEN followed supper...

Rick Mann, aka Pittsburgh
slackpacker@bigfoot.com
www.geocities.com/yosemite/trails/4404
800-803-2767