[at-l] Hiking next weekend

Hi,

My girlfriend and I are interested in getting better at hiking so we can
go on longer trips and eventually try something like olympic national park
for a few weeks, etc. etc.

I guess I feel ready to start this kind of thing, since I have hiked
several times on my own for several days, and I have all the equipment I
need.

However, my girlfriend doesn't.  We are wondering what would be a good way
to get into it.

Also, more specifically, we are going camping next weekend, and are
willing to drive as far as somewhere like the New River Gorge. (4.5 hours)

I really like the idea of hiking in the mountains, but where there would
be lakes, (water) etc.  Anyone have any suggestions for the western slope
of the appalachians?  In west virginia, PA, etc.

Thanks,
-Galen