[at-l] Hiking the Whites

Jim asked:

> I don't plan to stay in any of the fancy huts - just the shelters and
> campsites. Anybody have any comments on this plan - or lack of plan, more
> like - ?

Well, the problem with shelters and campsites near the Presidentials
is that they are waaaaaaay down the side of the mountains.  At least
1000 ft and sometimes 1500 ft.  I find it really depressing in the
morning to climb 1500 ft just to get back to where I was the evening
before.

I stayed at Lakes of the Crowds and Madison Springs huts when I
section-hiked that area.

Bob Shroy