[at-l] hello and external frames

        Greetings everyone.  I've been lurking since sometime in March and
after graduating from Virginia Tech a couple of weeks ago (Go Hokies!) am in
the process of settling in to the real world.  Part of that included
switching from my school account to a commercial one and I had to decide
whether to become an active member of the list or take myself off it.  So,
I'm taking this route.  I hiked the MD stretch of trail May 6th-9th and had
a blast.  Didn't see any thru-hikers but camped with a couple of section
hikers.  Now I'm busy job hunting in New Market, MD.  I think I want to work
with lab animals, but anything in the biochemistry field might work.
Meanwhile, my weekends are free for backpacking, although I didn't make it
Trail Days last weekend.  Might not be a bad thing, I have to keep my record
clean in case any prospective employers want to do background checks.
        As for external frames.  I have a Gregory Evolution that I got last
winter.  I love it.  I am a type A personality and like the ability to
organize everything and to strap things to the outside of the pack.  But,
internal suspension looked so much nicer.  With the Evolution you get both.
Gregory built the frame with it's internal suspension in mind and the pack
really feels like an internal frame.  The hip belt does have to be broken
in, it took mine one overnight trip and one weekend trip before it was
really comfortable. The only complaint I have is that the frame is heavy.
But to me, it's worth it.  Hope this helps.

Marty

Marty Sinclair
msinclair@computercrafters.com

--"Don't tell me I'm burning the candle at both ends.
     Tell me where to get more wax."