[at-l] pack list

Hi everyone,

  I'm hoping that after a weekend at Trail Days you guys would be all
excited to critique a pack list. Almost all the items have been
weighed, but a few of them are my thru-hiking partner's and she still
thinks I'm a little obsessive to be weighing everything, so I haven't
weighed her things yet :) (Don't worry, I'll get them from her
soon... hee hee) I'll be the first to admit that I don't have tons of
backpacking experience, so I'm sure that there are many ways for me to
improve my pack list (such as the last trip I was on, in SNP. We met
the cool guys, Gary and Paul, who were shuttling us, and they had to
tell us that 77oz of fuel was way too much for 3 people for 6
days.....and I was definately glad they told us :) So anyways, have
fun tearing it apart (not literally though!) And please, no
suggestions for rope and beans and a dog or anything... ;)

weight (in ozs)            item

97                         pack - dana designs XS terraplane
48 (approx.)               1/2 of tent - 2 person, I think it's from LLBean
32                         sleeping bag - FF Swallow, short w/stuff sack
8                          ridge rest 3/4 length w/stuff sack
14                         stove - MSR whisperlite w/wind screen, stuffsack
                               matches, scour pad, repair kit, bandana
                               & ziplocks
16                         22 oz fuel bottle, full
12 (approx.)               aluminum cookset (from the 70's! :) plus utensils
70 (approx.)               2 qts water & nalgene bottles
9  (approx.)               first aid kit (asprin, neosporin, chapstick,
                               bandaids, moleskin, sunscreen(!!!!!)
12 (approx.)               grooming & toilet kit
5                          mini mag lite & extra batteries
1                          sewing kit
2                          knife - swiss army tinker
2                          compass
.5                         whistle
3                          nylon cord
36                         camera (Pentax K1000) & film (yeah, I know
                               it's heavy but I want to try bringing it anyway)
16 (approx.)               map, journal, guidebook
7                          stuffed animal - lobster (see below for explanation)
88.5                       clothing      (see below)

TOTAL
29 lbs 15 oz

clothing (in pack)

8                          2 wool socks & poly pro liners
2                          1 nylon shorts
8                          underwear (sorry, I can't go without it! :)
4                          1 coolmax t-shirts
14.5                       midweight long underwear
14                         fleece anorak
2                          wool hat
1                          polypro liner gloves
9                          REI coated nylon rainpants
14                         REI coated nylon rain jacket
10                         sandals
2                          credit card & money

TOTAL
88.5 oz
5 lbs 8.5 ozs

clothing (wearing)
nylon shorts, coolmax t-shirt, underwear, wool socks & liners

OK so this is the explanation for the lobster. I've brought it
everywhere with me for the last 9 years...to Russia twice..it's
survived two attacks from my dog, and I can't leave him
behind. Besides, it either him or my cat, and they don't make kitty
backpacks :) So he's going with. (Besides he makes a great pillow, and
is much more practical than pictures of my idol, Robert Smith) And
also, he's given me the only possibility for a trail name as of yet -
Lobster Girl. That's what I was called on my last backpacking trip in
the SNP. He kinda got wet during the only rain we had so I dried him
out by strapping him to the back of my pack, and I decided to leave
him there, while my friends made fun of me :) ANd then I proceeded to
get comepletely sunburnt, so I matched him :)

Also, something to keep in mind, my partner (the track star) is a
great packhorse :) and I'm sure I can convince her to carry even more
stuff than she's already planning on carrying :):):)

Thanks for reading all the way to the end and for the suggestions :)

				-Martha Montague
				ME -> GA '98

				http://web.mit.edu/martha/www/home.html