[at-l] so I tried duct tape, and it didn't work

Went for a short hike Saturday (5 miles on the back side of Grandfather
mtn). I'm still breaking in new heavyweight boots, but they haven't
given me any real problems on two longer hikes and lots of short park
walks.

Until now. Mindful of the occasional hot spot on my heels and Achilles
tendon area, I put on some moleskin before I put on my boots at the
trailhead. Prevention being better than something. About a half mile up
the trail, I noticed a bad hot spot on my left heel. Stopped, pulled off
the boot, and found the moleskin rolled up in a little ball attached to
the inside of my sock. Needless to say, the little ball of moleskin was
ripping the heck out of my heel.

Memo to Dr Scholl's: You will be hearing from my attorney.

Now, seriously, I haven't had this problem before, so I put on a much
larger piece of moleskin and kept on going. Same thing happened, but
this time I got a huge blister. Ouch. Then I remembered the duct tape
that was wrapped around my trowel handle. Tried some duct tape. Same
problem.

By the time I came down the trail (and downhill was not painful,
thankfully), I had gone through several large pieces of duct tape, and
all of them ended up taped inside-out to my socks, and not covering the
right spot on my heel.

Help!  I've never done the duct tape thing, and I've never had blisters.
How do I get stuff to stick on my heel? If it's any help, I was wearing
Thorlo Trekkers with a polypro liner sock. The only thing that I can
think of is to tape my heel like athletes do, with strips that go
basically all the way around the foot and ankle, but that sounds both
hot and painful to remove. For those of you who use duct tape, how large
a piece on your heel, and do you have problems with the corners coming
up and sticking to your socks? How do you solve that problem?

Painfully yours,

Ken

BTW, I just attended the hooding for 150-odd law graduates, and the
speaker, a distinguished judge and university president, told them:
'Your clients will lie, your clients will cheat, your clients will
steal, and occasionally your clients will kill somebody, and if you
can't handle that, you shouldn't go into corporate law.'