[at-l] TRIP REPORT

TRIP REPORT: Sams Gap to Devil Fork Gap AND Allen Gap to Hot Springs, NC
	As Frank Webbe said on the AT-L on 5/13/97:  "Sometimes trips go
as planned and expected, sometimes they don't."  I didn't have to deal
with snow and ice, but this was also a case of an aborted hike.  But it
probably met the conditions for a Felix-approved hike, so all was not
lost--I had rope (for bear-bagging), beans (in some of my freeze-dried
dinners), and ran into a couple of dogs along the trail  ;)  (apologies to
those who won't understand the Felix bit).
	The plan was to hike 40+ miles from Sams Gap to Hot Springs.
Here's was actually happened:

FRI. 4/25  Drove from Tallahassee, FL to my son's in Asheville, NC.  To
prepare for the rigors of the trail, ordered in a pizza.  Deep concern on
my part that several months of high-stress/overtime special-project stuff
at work (and consequently, practically NO exercise) had left me in no
condition, at my age (58), for doing this hike.  The only thing I hoped to
fall back on was prior conditioning up until about last Sept.--but that
was followed by 6 months of "going to pot".

SAT. 4/26  We drove both our cars to Hot Springs and left mine in the USFS
parking lot next to the Jesuit hostel.  My son drove me over to Sams Gap.
This is 40.3 trail miles north of Hot Springs (actually east, on the map).
The plan was to hike 4.3 miles and camp at Big Flat, which was supposed to
be a fairly open, flat area with water nearby.  I got started about 1 pm,
with the temp. about 50F, and VERY windy in the Gap.  I had scouted the
location of the trail at the gap last Spring, so we drove right up to the
north side of the cemetary and I started hiking south (west) from there.
Well, I noticed the blazes needed repainting--they almost looked "peeled
off" the trees.  When I finally came to a place where the REAL (relocated)
trail came in from my left, I realized I had been on a "dead" piece of
trail!  After that, the blazes were fine :))  LOTS of wild flowers in
bloom, and the wind died down a lot above the gap, so it turned into a
really nice walk.  There were all colors of violets, trilliums, purple
flowers in small spikes and many types of small yellow flowers--didn't
have book to identify them :(  Took a quick lunch break; not enough sun to
want to dawdle.  Got to Hogback Ridge Shelter at 4 pm and dropped in to
see who was there: BEAR, HACK-MA-TACK (sp.??), LIFE SAVER, and PHOEBE
--plus a couple who were off to the side and didn't speak.  Went on down
the trail and met MR. AND MRS. GOING HOME (from Maine), TURTLE, TRAIL
MOUSE, AND TECHNICOLOR (her toe nails painted all different colors).  Also
a couple of unidentified people--13 all told for the day.  Got to where I
thought Big Flat should be and it was all overgrown and no sign of blue
blaze to water.  In Georgia, and maybe western NC?, I believe I remember
there being blue blazes where there was water off the trail near places
mentioned as possible campsites in the guide book.  Oh well.  I did seem
like it was early for me to have gotten that far, so I kept on.  Well,
pretty soon I could tell by the topo map that I really was past that
point, so I decided to camp at the next flat spot, since I was already
carrying JUST enough water for overnight and the signs were for RAIN at
any moment.  So I ended up at a spot that I believe was the unnamed small
gap just south of Lick Rock.  And sure enough, I no sooner had the tent up
that the rain started.  I have this really terrific vestibule (Quest River
Runner 5 Excel tent) that I can cook in once I've started the stove
OUTSIDE the vestibule--which you CAN do in the rain.  So I was snuggled in
my sleeping bag just inside the tent door, leaning out on my elbow fix
dinner, then leaning back against my Crazy Creek ThermaLounger to eat, and
thinking "It don't get any better" (well...sunshine and eating out under a
tree would have been a LITTLE better :))  I had felt really strong while
hiking and the trail was SO easy after Georgia and western NC!, that I had
a really good day.  It got down to about 35-40F in the tent and rained
most all night.
SAT. 4/27  Woke up about 7 am, still raining but wind had died down some.
VERY foggy outside.  By the time the rain let up and I could pack up
without getting my pack contents soaked, it was NOON before I could get
hiking.  NOT a good way to make mileage, and so many hours off my feet
didn't make me feel very good.  Wore rain gear because it looked like it
could rain more at any time (it didn't, and I had to stop and get it off
later--too hot!).  Met LANDO, hiking south from Damascus; three guys
(didn't get names) and their dog LANDO.  Later on, passed LAMONT (?) and
HAM HOCK.  The trail got prettier as the day went on, with many stream
crossings and pretty vegetation along the streams.  Passed 3 more
guys-with-a-dog (TIMBER) out for 5 days, a thruhiker called CAPE TOWN
JENNY.  Took longer for lunch today, since it had become a BEAUTIFUL DAY.
But noticed that I seemed to be hiking slower, not feeling strong, and
not making good time.  After lunch passed an old homesite with several
fallen-down buildings and one crushed by a huge fallen tree.  Met CAPTAIN
Z(iploc) and SKEETER BAIT from Florida.  North of Hurrican Gap, passed
graves of Dorothy Hensley (1865-1965) and Joe Riddel (1877-1967) in a
tiny plot near another old homesite.  Just past there, met AMTRACK (he
snored like a train, he said) stopped for a rest, and then another
thruhiker.  Reached Boon Cove Rd. and then had my FIRST uphill of the
day!, but a short, easy one.  However, at the top was a very
hiker-unfriendly stile, a VERY NARROW zig-zag (V-shaped) one with a
knee-high cross-bar in the corner of the V.  Almost couldn't squeeze
me-and-the-pack in and still have room to lift my leg over the cross-bar.
Darndest thing I've seen yet in the way of stiles.  I ended up backing
through it!  Got to Devil Fork Gap about 5:30 feeling absolutely worn out,
with rain obviously imminent again at any moment, and almost 2 miles shy
of my intended destination.  What to do, what to do?  Decision:  find the
next closest flat spot.  So, across the highway, UP the hill to a wide
spot where the trail crossed to the other side of the ridge.  Over some
downed trees to a TINY, barely tent-sized spot a ways off the trail.
Again, no water near; but JUST enough still on hand for dinner and
breakfast.  The rain started after I got rain gear and pack cover on but
before I could set up the tent.  Hunkered down and waited for a break.
Got one just long enough to get tent up and fly THROWN over it.  Had to do
rest of staking out in the rain.  Wet gear into vestibule.  Rain stuff
off.  Dry pack and me into tent.  Yuk.  Took a long breather and cooked in
the vestibule again.  This hike's gotten off to a bad start, folks.  Still
raining at lights-out time, but a little warmer than last night.

MON. 4/28  Slept well--always do, when it's raining pitter patter on the
roof!  Woke up about 7 am again, still raining, so went back to sleep.
Woke up again at 8:30.  Cooked breakfast in the vestibule, AGAIN.  The
radio picked up a weather forecast out of Knoxville TN, to the west, which
said MORE RAIN.  I figured it was headed my way, it was 10:30 am and the
rain had JUST stopped, I was way behind schedule and not feeling good (was
I possibly coming down with something?) and the next "out" (road-crossing
was 20 miles away.  I could go on a little further, with the possibility
of having to turn around shortly and come back to this highway if I WAS
sick, or I could quit here and now.  Tune in tomorrow, folks, for
            ....the REST of the story....
"Earthworm"

*                                                                          *
*  Linda L. Patton                  "Nearness to nature...keeps the        *
*  Reference Librarian               spirit sensitive to impressions       *
*  Strozier Library                  not commonly felt, and in touch       *
*  Florida State University          with the unseen powers."              *
*  Tallahassee, FL 32306-2047             --Ohiyesa                        *
*                                           The Soul of the Indian         *
*  Phone: (904) 644-5019                    1911                           *
*  E-Mail: lpatton@mailer.fsu.edu                                          *
*                ...the siren call of the wilderness...                    *