RE: [at-l] The Smokies

tfort,

I spent 6 days last week (Sunday thru Friday) covering some 30 miles on day
hikes in the Smokies -- for all except Friday Am (with rain), short sleeves
were fine after 9 or 10 AM.  Got down into 30's and 40's at night.  Generally
in the 60's from 9 - 5.

Most trails had signs of recent maintenance -- except my 13 mile day -- up
Laurel Falls 4 miles to the top had a couple downed trees, BUT the Cove
Mountain Trail from the fire tower at the top of Laurel Falls to the Park
Headquarters (8.4 miles) had around 50 trees across the trail, with a third of
them being a real pain.  Did see 2 bear about 2 miles out from the
headquarters, however.

Also, Meigs Creek trail, in the rain Friday AM had some challenging (for
balance -- not dangerously deep) creek crossings -- 12 of 13 major rock
crossings were successful with my boots and Leki's.  (That translates into one
slip and full boot of water).

Some snow was visible from town on the highest elevations in the park.

Chuck