[at-l] TrailMail 5/7-5/9

TrailMail:  A-T journal of Trailvis 5/7-5/9

May 7: Day 5,  Neels Gap to Poplar Stamp Gap, 12.0  miles (50.8 total)

I left the Walasiyi center at Neels Gap at noon, about 20 hours later than
I had planned to leave.  I took the time to (1) write 3 journal entries,
(2) figure out how to transmit them, and (3) make phone calls to loved
ones.  Some stores have a dish of pennies by the register to help you make
change; the dish at the Walasiyi center has nickels, dimes, and
quarters--people leave them to save pack weight!

Spoke with Dan "Wingfoot" Bruce by phone to confirm that my journal had
arrived via e-mail; it did, and he promised to post it to his web page
ASAP.  He said  that 25,000 people per week were visiting his web site to
read the journals of 18 thru-hikers.   Technical note:  I am writing and
transmitting this journal with a Sharp Zaurus Z-3500X, as e-mail via
Compuserve over ordinary phone lines.  This PDA weighs less than one pound
and runs on two AA batteries.  Readers access the messages on Wingfoot's
web page (www.trailplace.com) or receive them as e-mail (my listserv
subscribers).

This was a day to see critters.  I dipped my mug into a spring, got a drink
and a bonus salamander.  Stared in wonder as fuzzy-yellow bees the size of
small birds tapped into the orange azalea blossoms.  Watched a wren take a
bath in another spring (the water of which I had treated before drinking,
thank goodness).  The highlight of my day was when I SAW A BEER!  I saw a
2- to 3-year-old black bear on Poor Mountain, near Low Gap, running up the
mountainside.  (The bear was running, not me.)

I walked until 10 P.M.

May 8: Day 6, Poplar Stamp to Tray Mountain, 13.2 miles (64 total)

As I trudged up the wicked-steep side of Tray Mountain, I contemplated how
I could lighten my pack.  It has gotten heavier since I have been
collecting orphaned food products.  Here is my gear list (for people who
are interested in such stuff):

item/maker-model/approx. weight

pack/Ultimate Directions-Cascade/3.5#
sleeping bag/Moonstone-Muir Trail 25 deg./2.5#
bivy sack/Outdoor Research-Advanced/2.5#
sleep pad/Thermarest-3/4 length ultralight/1.0#
bag liner/Cocoon-cotton mummy/0.5#
jacket/Marmot-Stormlite/1.0#
camera/Olympus-Stylus/1.0# (5 rolls film)
PDA/Sharp-Zaurus 3500X/1.0#
boots/Asolo-ltwt fabric leather/?
t-shirts/Coolmax (two)
shorts/Nike-ACG nylon lined
shorts/ASICS-nylon running
pants/Sierra Designs-nylon wind pant
socks/Dickey-synthetic work socks (2 pr)
sock liners/Wal-Mart (2 pr)
polypropylene long underwear/Sam's (1 set)
A-T wall map & data book combo
flashlight/Mag Industries-Mini Mag
polypro gloves; nylon mittens; wool knit hat;
rain hat; nylon shower shoes; etc.

At Unicoi Gap I met Tom & Debra, who had driven all the way from MN to
visit the German-lookalike-town of Helen, GA, to get engaged, and to mail a
card for me.
To avoid the impending rain, I stayed at the Tray Gap Shelter.  Also there
were David & Heather (Toronto), and two guys from Dallas with trail names
Sticky & Slackpacker who turned out to be the anonymous donors of most of
my found-food.
I think "Snackpacker" is a more descriptive name.

The trail register told the story of "Stuckteva."  A girl from Manchester,
NH with sore feet put on her Teva sandals and strapped the offending boots
to her pack.  Directly, she got the toe of her Teva stuck in a crack in the
rock.  She pulled, but could not free herself.  Wildflower, her partner,
joined the tug-of-war with the toe.  When her foot came free, the hikers
fell backward, and Stuckteva's boots swung over and kicked her in the
mouth.  After laughing uncontrollably for 10 minutes, Stuckteva was born.
The end.

May 9: Day 7, Tray Mtn. to Dicks Creek Gap, 10.2 miles (74.2 tot.)

I decided to take a short hike today.  First, I slept poorly in the
shelter.  I woke frequently to defend my pack and food bag against a mouse.
 I caught it exploring the pockets of my pack, with my flashlight (I had
the flashlight, not the mouse.  Second, I heard about food and lodging
available at an organic blueberry farm at deck's Gap 10 miles away.

I met and hiked with section-hiker John Bowden (Duluth, GA) on the trail.
I was glad to share his company during the rainy hillclimbs, and even
gladder to share his truck from trails end to the  Blueberry Patch.

May 1 starts the off-season for the Blueberry Patch.  They get upwards of
15 people per day.  When I arrived, the lone visitor was John "Shortgrass"
Lawton from Seattle.  Shortgrass pulled up lame one month ago with two sore
(nearly severed) Achilles tendons. He hitchhiked directly to the hospital,
where the ER doc assured SG that he would be back on the trail in one week.
 One week turned into one month of recuperation, spent at area campgrounds.
 Tomorrow morning he begins the trail anew with a new goal--take it slow,
enjoy the trail, and make it halfway to the Northern terminus (Mt.
Katahdin) in 1997.
[...]

Cessnas tapped into the orange azalea blossoms.  Watched a wren take a bath
in another spring (the water of which I had treated before drinking, thank
goodness).  The highlight of my day was when I SAW A BEER!  I saw a 2- to
3-year-old black bear on Poor Mountain, near Low Gap, running up the
mountainside.  (The bear was running, not me.)

I walked until 10 P.M.

May 8: Day 6, Poplar Stamp to Tray Mountain, 13.2 miles (64 tot.)

As I trudged up the wicked-steep side of Tray Mountain, I contemplated how
I could lighten my pack.  It has gotten heavier since I have been
collecting orphaned food products.  Here is my gear list (for people who
are interested in such stuff):

item/maker-model/approx. weight

pack/Ultimate Directions-Cascade/3.5# (& cover)
[...]

 I caught the mouse  exploring the pockets of my pack, with my flashlight
(I had the flashlight, not the mouse.  Second, I heard about food and
lodging available at an organic blueberry farm at deck's Gap 10 miles away.

I met and hiked with section-hiker John Bowden (Duluth, GA) on the trail.
I was glad to share his company during the rainy hillclimbs, and even
gladder to share his truck from trails end to the  Blueberry Patch.

May 1 starts the off-season for the Blueberry Patch.  At peak times they