[at-l] Solophile Journal Entries [Apr30_May01]

Here are the rest of them from the latest mailing!

--
Andy Markham
markham@nortel.com

----------------------------

Wednesday, April 30 - Day 51
10.9 mi to Old Orchard Shelter - 489.2 mi cum

The day didn't look too promising when we all first awoke at 7 - cold and
cloudy.  Fireball promised us sun and temps in the 70's though since he was
listening to the weather report.  I braved the cold just long enought to use
the privy and then dove back into my bag.

Everybody else proved to have much more resolve and ambition than Fireball and
me.  We were the absolute last to leave the shelter when we trundled out at
9am.  The morning definitely improved as we hiked.  Lots of ponies, wonderful
views, and sun, glorious sun, finally broke through the clouds.

We took a one hour break at Wise Shelter to bask in the sun, hiked another
hour, and then abruptly plopped ourselves right back down on the hillside
overlooking the Scales.  It was just too beautiful of a day to worry about
miles.  Days like today are made to be appreciated and we wanted to do an
honest job of that.  We ended uplolling about for another two hours.  Fireball
even fell asleep for a while and got a good sunburn as a result.

We were back in action again by 3 and headed on to Old Orchard Shelter.  I
had toyed with the idea of doing 17 miles today, but I think slowing down to
enjoy the good weather and to savor this very special section of the trail was
the right choice fo me.

So far it's Al, Meant 2 Be, Fireball and myself.  I'm tenting in the meadow in
front of the shelter and we're all hoping for a pretty sunset.

The shelter register had two very amusing poems concerning the ongoing battle
between hiking purists, who won't miss a single white blaze and carry their
packs the entire way, versus the blue-blazers, who are willing to take side
trails, roadwalks, and have their packs shuttled forward for them.

"I'm Better Than You"
"I'm Smarter Than You"

"I'm Better Than You"

I've got slivers in my lips to prove that I'm right
'Cause I kiss every tree with a blaze that's painted white.
I don't take no shortcuts, I don't follow no blue,
Maybe you're done before me, but I'm better than you.

Chorus:
I'm better than you, I'm better than you,
I don't walk no blue, 'cause I'm better than you.
I'm pure and perfect in everything I do,
I'm better than you, I'm better than you.

I've got my backpack heavy as can be.
I don't let nobody carry it for me.
I pump the weight up, with a rock or two,
Your pack is wimpy and I'm better than you.

...Chorus...

My socks are toxic, but that's okay,
I don't do no laundry - that's the pioneer way.l
I don't take showers, I don't use shampoo,
maybe you smell pretty, but I'm better than you.

...Chorus...

Taken from register at Old Orchard Shelter
Author was JZero Wildcat Brother

"I'm Smarter Than You"

I'll do my hiking on the road today.
I'll take a ride, sir, if you're going my way.
Yeah, I'm doing sixty and you're doing two,
Your feet are hurting and I'm smarter than you.

Chorus:
I'm smarter than you, I'm smarter than you,
I walk the blue, 'cause I'm smarter than you.
I take the shortcut in everything I do,
I'm smarter than you, I'm smarter than you.

You climb that mountain, while I go around,
'Cause I always search for the lower ground,
And there's a nice, flat roadway that goes right through.
You're scrambling boulders and I'm smarter than you.

...Chorus...

I think I'll find me a little room tonight,
I'll take a shower and flick on the lights
I'll find a barstool and have a few,
You're drinking Kool-Aid and I'm smarter than you.

...Chorus...

Thursday, May 1 - Day 52
10.3 to Troutdale, VA - 499.5 mi cum

The wind woke me up several times during the night as it battered the sides
of my tent.  It was a fairly warm night, just windy.  I finally decided to
just go ahead and get up.  I was on the trail by 7am - my earliest start in
a long time.

I had a little over 10 miles to go to get to the road that would take me into
Troutdale.  he skies had clouded up overnight and there were thunderstorm
warnings for the area.  As I climbed to a ridgeline, the skies looked
particularly dark and the pitter-patter of raindrops began.  I could hear the
thunder approaching and I quickened my steps to get off the ridge.  Fireball
wasn't so lucky on his timing and found himself on top of the ridge just as
the lightening strike since he was literally running down the trail to get out
of the storm.

The rain didn't last long and it turned into a pretty morning.  I was
averaging better than 3mph on this section, which is really good for me.  I
hit the road crossing by 10:15 and Fireball was waiting for me since he knew
I didn't like roadwalks or hitching by myself.  We only half-heartedly tried
to thumb a ride since it was supposed to only be a 1.8 mile road walk.  Well,
it was the longest 1.8 either of us had ever done.  I definitely think it
was a longer road walk than that.

We finally arrived at Ray's Restaurant and Deli.  We ordered some food, got
some groceries, and arranged for a ride up to the Fox Hill Inn.  The drive
up to this place was incredible.  It's a single lane gravel driveway that
winds through rhododendron thickets and woods and finally puts you out on
top of a beautiful open hilltop where the Inn sits.  The place was deserted,
but there was a note for us to make ourselves at home - which we promptly did.

We spent the afternoon cleaning up, doing laundry, and eating food.  Fireball
even baked a chocolate cake!  Mark & Janet showed up late in the afternoon.
They were just returning from their backpacking trip in PA.  We had a great
time hanging out on the patio with them.

Fireball and I threw together a 5 course hiker dinner from the hiker box and
what we'd bought in town.  Mark even found us a bottle of wine.  After dinner
we enjoyed a nice fire, watched a movie, and then Mark & Janet joined us for
some coffee and chocolate cake.  It's way past my bedtime now and I do have
to hike tomorrow after all.