[at-l] Slackpack tour - fwd by Milt

Note from Milt:
 Some of these have not been posted to the list due to a problem at the
time the message was sent.
Milt

 ---

1997 SLACKPACK TOUR OF THE APPALACHIAN TRAIL
also see website "www.geocities.com/yosemite/trails/4404"

MAY 7, 1997 - WEDNESDAY

	we tip-toed out of the INN before 7am, walked across the street
to eat, then headed for TANYARD GAP (US 25/70).  this was the best hiking
day, weatherwise, that we have had.  the sky was clear, the sun was
bright, and there was no humidity.  SUNSHINE, TIMMY, and SHAMROCK hiked
out first.  i was a few minutes behind.  we all met up at SPRING MOUNTAIN
shelter.  the PRIVY was calling me, so i stayed a while after they
left...
	some hikers that i met:  BOG and SLOE (slackpacking south),
HATMAN and HAPPY FEET, PIPPI, BO and MTN, a few whose names escape me,
and TYBEE PETE.  this is the same PETE that i met at AMICALOLA FALLS
STATE PARK on the friday before EASTER.  he had started hiking that
saturday, MARCH 29, which was a full two weeks before SUNSHINE and i left
SPRINGER.  he has been taking his time...
	CAMP CREEK BALD was our destination for the day.  GILAMAN and
PANTHER FAN had trouble finding the trail at the bald.  it turns out that
the trail does not go over the bald.  PANTHER FAN did some BUSHWACKING in
an effort to locate the trail.  he was successful.  they both spent a
good bit of time determining were the best campsites would be, and how to
BUSHWACK there from the trail...
	the spot we ended up tenting at has a superb view of the valley
to the north (towards GREENEVILLE, TN), plus the BLACKSTACK CLIFFS to the
east.  the entire bald, unfortunately, is heavily littered.  SUNSHINE did
some cleanup, but there was just too much debree for her to make much of
a dent...
	supper was LIPTONS, BREAD, and LEMONADE for the main course, and
PUDDING for dessert.  i also had some BAKED BEANS and TUNA.  meals such
as this may seem simple and unappealing, but after many hours of physical
excertion, these quick hearty meals are welcome and appreciated.  cleanup
is also very easy...
	as usual, everyone dispersed after supper to do whatever.  the
wind was picking up, and the chill was setting in.  i had situated my
tent so that the sunset was visible from the front window, and the cliffs
from the back.  for a few moments, during the sunset, the cliffs
brightened with a red hue.  i thought how fortunate i was being up on the
bald on a clear night with a red sunset...

MAY 8, 1997 - THURSDAY

	the winds were occasionally strong during the night.  in the
morning, the winds were really whipping.  the ladies were up and had
their tents down before we guys ventured out.  we were all hiking by
8am...
	the temps were chilly and the sky was overcast, and it remained
that way for most of the day.  there was a short period of rain, but the
sun did show itself intermitently by early afternoon.  we saw:  WALKING
CARROT and NOWHERE MAN (had seen them in HOT SPRINGS), ANASAZI, THE
ANCIENT ONES (an older couple), TYBEE PETE, PIPPI, TORTOISE (had met him
leaving HOT SPRINGS on the day that we hiked through), and BEN and RUBY
(fellow and his dog) who are section hiking from DAVENPORT GAP to the
SHENANDOAH's...
	TIMMY's cousin LAURA was waiting at our destination, DEVIL FORK
GAP (NC 212), when we arrived.  TIMMY did not know that she would be
there, and was surprised.  PETER PAN had planned the surprise.  we hopped
in the vehicles and headed for ASHEVILLE, NC and LAURA's house.  we will
be staying there for two nights, commuting to the trailheads.  we
showered, then headed into town for a meal.  everyone was real zonked out
when we returned, so one by one we hit the sack on LAURA's large enclosed
backporch...

Rick Mann, aka Pittsburgh
slackpacker@juno.com
www.geocities.com/yosemite/trails/4404