Re: [at-l] road to Deep Gap, NC

Joey Parker wrote:

> My son and I are planning a 50 mile section hike from Neels Gap to Deep
> Gap, NC in mid-May.
>
> The trail guide to NC-GA says there is a road access to Deep Gap, NC that
> is at the end of a 6 mile, one-lane, gravel Forest Service road (USFS 71).
> Access to this road is just west of the Clay-Macon county line off US 64.
>
> 1) Is this road easily traveled by a car/pickup?
>
> 2) Is the entrance to the road **easily** found from US 64?
>
> Thanks in advance for any input.
>
> Joey Parker
> Tuscaloosa, AL

I've been dropped off at Deep Gap twice and the road was in good
condition both times.  It is a ok road to go by car the times I wnt.
There was a good, fairly large parking and turn around area right at the
A.T.  The USFS Rd 71 goes about 6 miles to the A.T. FROM u.s.# 64, the
best I can tell from my map.  Also my map shows another road that turns
off to the right after a few miles in - Be sure and stay LEFT  to
continue on USFS Rd 71.  I don't remember the road that turner right but
we would have been following the guide on our map anyway (Nantahala
National Forest - N.C. map).

We fount the entrance to USFS Rd 71 off U.S. 64 easy.  It is maybe 1/2
mile from the Clay/Macon county line (in Clay cnty).  We probably
measured the approx. distance from Rainbow Springs and the Nantahala
River, West about 2 miles to USFS rd 71.

It is easy to see all this on my map - I hope this helps some.
Happy Hikine, -Millo- (U.of A. '57, now Maggie Valley, N.C.)