Re: [at-l] lawlessness

Trudy, I really don't want to go into this can of worms too deeply,
because it's a subject unlikely to ever conclude.  As I said, the
Constitution makes no mention of God, and is careful to separate
governance from religion.  The founding fathers came from a
Christian-based society and could hardly be exempt from its influence,
just as if we were to draft a new constitution today.  Besides,
Christianity, as a philosophy, does have valid, useful, nobel things to
say about how man should relate to his fellow men.  The Golden Rule is,
I think, the most fundamental basis of nearly any set of laws.  It's
incorrect to infer that a desire for separation of religion and state
implies a set of laws that have no intersection with Christian
philosophy.

I see religion as, primarily, a means of control.  As a complete
nonbeliever (the only position that makes any sense to me), I do not
want religion (as opposed to philosophy) intertwined with the laws of
the society in which I live, as equal as any other.  Besides, I think
religion (*any* religion) creates more societal problems that it solves.

> It's a country founded on Christian principles that have
> all but disappeared.  I hope this desire to rebel against the
> restrictions of our society doesn't come out in a bunch of nude hikers
> that will get the trails closed to the rest of us.

One thing I hope we can agree on is that hiking nude on the summer
solstice is hardly in the same category as most of the rebellion
and civil disobedience that has been so important throughout history.

David