[at-l] pick-apart-a-pack

well, gotta put the money where the mouth is.

after giving suggestions to many others, i guess it's only fair that i
expose the contents of my pack for you all to pick over.  this is a very
personal thing, you know, doing this for the first time.

this is what i am packing for my 5 day trail days trip.  it is what i would
now pack for a thru hike, excepting long underwear and either a bag liner
or warmer bag for an early start/late finish, and possibly a pair of camp
socks or water mocs.

things not on the list:  still waiting for my new pair of one sport Vitesse
trail running shoes;  my two south carolina bamboo hiking poles, which i
will pick up in damascus; an "office" consisting of pen, journal, data book
pages, handbook pages, travellers checks, drivers lic, credit card, ATM,
medical insurance, postcards; 40ft of cord.

things i've noticed in going thru this exercise:
this is the first time i've weighed every individual item on a postal scale
to the tenth of an ounce.  previously i would weigh the big things, and
then the whole pack.  i'm most disappointed in the weight of the backpack +
hipbelt pockets + straps:  5 lbs!!!  i love my mountainsmith, but this is
ridiculous.  still, nothing else comes close in comfort for me.  my camp
trails "kitchen" is heavy - think i'll replace it with a light stuff sack.
my heavest piece of clothing is my jacket at 11.8 oz - woohooo!  a well
stocked first aid kit does not have to be heavy.  there are alot of weight
savings hiking with a partner, even with a bigger tent.

anyway, if you see something i can't, let me know.  still working towards
under 20lbs

Item							wt (oz)
Mountainsmith Telemark				80
Pack cover						6.2
Walrus Swift + ground sheet				56.8
FF Rock Wren + OR stuff sack			35.2
3/4 Ridgerest + stuff sack				13.8
Trangia Westwind + windscreen +
   3oz fuel + stuff sack				12.3
22oz Fuel bottle (full) + 2yd duct tape		25.4
PUR Pioneer + spare disk +stuff sack		8.5
MSR Dromedary						5.4
Evernew Ti 1.9L pot + stuff sack			9.2
Sealable Nalgene "tupperware"			4.6
Bakepacker						4
Camp Trails "kitchen"				16.3
includes	spices
	parmesan cheese
	tabasco sauce
	liquid butter
	powdered milk
	sugar
Lexan spoon						0.4
Bamboo spatula					0.4
Liquid soap + scrubby				2
OR stuff sack for food (w/proof)			3.4
32oz Nalgene						3.6
16 oz Ultimate sport bottle				2.6
butt pad (portion of a ridgerest)			2.2
Royal Robbins Zip'n'Go pants/shorts		10
Royal Robbins Ultralight ripstop nylon jkt	11.8
Royal Robbins Hot Springs polartec 100		10.4
RR Go Everywhere T					8.1
RR Go Everywhere supplex l/s shirt (camp/town)	9.7
Running shorts (camp)				2.8
2 pr wool socks					8.2
2 pr polypro liners					2.1
Stuff sack for clothes				1.7