[at-l] Re: mousetraps

kbmiller3@juno.com (Kenneth B Miller) wrote:

>When I hiked the AT in '89 the "Traveler" used to carry a four banger
>mouse trap in a plastic ziploc bag.
>     Can catch and kill up to 4 mice at a time.

>You put the bait in the middle (peanut butter works real good)
>The mouse sticks his head in one of the four holes, trips the switch and
>WHAM MO a wire pops up and strangles the poor critter (usually breaks his
>neck)and the trap still has three more shots. I have seen three mice
>sticking out of a trap at one time.
>Don't ask me where to get one of these ingenious devices because his is
>the only four-banger mouse trap I have ever seen.

4-holer mousetraps were made of black plastic.  All traditional hardware
stores had them.  I have seen none in yuppie hardware boutiques (chain
stores; no pun intended.)  Check junk shops, flea markets, garage sales.

A friend in Iowa lives in an old farmhouse surrounded by cornfields to the
horizon in all directions.  When the corn is harvested, there's a mouse
stampede!  He doesn't like cats, and suppressing all those mice would
require an army of them.  He got a wire-mesh mousetrap with a funnel-
shaped entrance like a minnow trap; it holds several dozen live mice.  When
it's full, he drowns the mice, then freezes them and gives them to a guy
who keeps snakes.  When it's time to feed the snakes, he nukes a few
mousesicles in the microwave.  Snakes prefer live food but can be trained
to eat dead mice.  Even so, they aren't very bright and if they eat dead
mice, you have to be careful that they don't try to eat your fingers.

  --  Frank     reid@indiana.edu