[at-l] 1997 SLACKPACK TOUR OF THE APPALACHIAN TRAIL

1997 SLACKPACK TOUR OF THE APPALACHIAN TRAIL
also available at website "www.geocities.com/yosemite/trails/4404"

APRIL 29, 1997 - TUESDAY

	lazy morning.  breakfast at a ATRIUM PANCAKE HOUSE.  high prices,
small portions.  [also avoid the HEIDELBERG RESTAURANT.  the tip is
automatically included in on the check, which leaves no incentive for
good service]  GILAMAN and PANTHER FAN headed out to do laundry.  PETER
PAN headed out to get some photos developed.  the rest of us worked our
journals...
	just after noon, GILAMAN and the hikers headed to CLINGMANS DOME
for a SLACKPACK to NEWFOUND GAP.  the day was glorious, the packs were
off, and our feet barely touched the ground as we flew down the trail.
what a pleasure it was to have warm, dry weather, and scenery...
	we headed for the PIZZA HUT in PIGEON FORGE.  we didn't go to the
PIZZA HUT in GATLINBURG, even though it was closer, because we would have
had to pay for public parking.  after THREE LARGE PIZZA's and two large
orders of CHEESE BREAD STICKS, all seven of us were full and happy.  we
then headed back to the motel to pack the EVIL BACKPACKS for the next
three days in the SMOKIES.  we then had the long awaited BIRTHDAY
celebration for TIMMY.  we sang out of key, drank CHAMPAGNE, and ate
CAKE...
	the weather looks good for the next few days.  what a welcome
change that would be after the time we had at the beginning of the
SMOKIES.  some of us don't mind the shelters, rain or no rain, but some
of us would much rather tent.  for this, we need clear skies, or else we
would be packing out very wet, heavy tents...

Rick Mann, aka Pittsburgh
slackpacker@juno.com
www.geocities.com/yosemite/trails/4404
800-803-2767