Re: [at-l] MSR Whisperlight lighting question

Sandy,

I'm a relatively new whisperlite user myself, but a lot of folks on the
AT seem to use them and I always see them flaring up in little fireballs
when primed.  At first I would let the priming flame go out and then
re-light the stove; the second time it's lit (once the generator tube is
warm), the flame would appear blue and come only from the top.  However,
it turns out that this second lighting isn't strictly necessary; if you
open tha valve back up as the priming flame begins to die, the flame should
just jump to the top.  I rarely time this perfectly, however, so I usually
get a big flare-up at first.  Closing the valve, waiting for the flame to
die down again, and repeating usually works for me.

In normal stove operation there should be no flame in the priming cup,
once the stove gets going...

                            -David
the fool
ga->me '97
covi@midway.uchicago.edu
http://student-www.uchicago.edu/users/covi/at.html
(posting from the trail!)(well, from a motel right now...)