Re: [at-l] Re:Water and Calories

Walter wrote..
> I know you can get craps and all kinds of
>problems by not drinking enough water.

Yikes, not the craps!!  Maybe you meant "cramps"??  How much water you need
depends on the temp, how much you carry, how far and how fast you walk,
which then determines how much you sweat.  If you haven't done this before,
it's a good idea to drink as much as you practically can.  I have a
camelbak so I am sipping nearly all the time.  After a while, you get to
know how much is too much because you have to pee all the time.  There are
no side effects to too much water other than that (unless somebody is force
feeding you gallons and gallons).  Not enough can give you muscle cramping,
dizziness, nausea, genereal weakness and if you don't get enough and it's
hot out (your body can't stay cool) you can lose your life.  I'm about 135
lbs (carry about a 30lb pack) and I drink AT LEAST 2 quarts a day hiking,
plus whatever I drink with meals (usually another quart or 2 but I don't
really keep track).  More if its hot out.  If I find myself running to the
woods every half hour, I drink a little less.

Not enough calories can not only make you lose weight, but you'll lose
energy and not be able to keep any kind of pace.  I met a woman trying to
stay on the SlimFast plan (those shakes for breakfast and lunch and a
"sensible dinner") while hiking and she said "I just don't know why I can't
do more than 8 miles in a day."  Basically if you're hungry, eat!  Your
hike will take care of weight loss if there is any.  I don't usually get
that hungry, but when hiking I get ravenous and I eat whenever want to
(usually 3 bigger meals and 3 or 4 snack stops a day).  And I still lose
4-5 lbs on a week long hike.

I've never been out for longer than 8 days, so others may have better
advice, but I'd plan to take more food than you think you'll need for the
first part.  Then when you resupply, you can adjust according to what you
have discovered your body needs.

Have a great time Walter!  We'll look forward to your trip report!

Sharon
ssharpe@wellesley.edu