[at-l] hike your own thru and thru hike!!!!!

well guess I picked a good time to get on this list.....loved reading the
spirited entry about the ATC's new terminology......must've been a lot of
subcommittee meetings to come up with all of that!!!!!! Thanks Rick....
so after reading todays longer entries and having been on the ATM-L for a
few months where there isn't as much "action"...have taken the liberty of a
long and boring inaugural message.

figured that all the fuss is about slackpackin' and whether or not it
qualifies as a "thru-hike", so pasted below the microsoft bookshelf
dictionary's definition of the word through (referenced, of course, from
the official spelling of Thru). Couldn't seem to find anything about
whether carrying a pack or not changes the definition of the word
thru......hhhhmmmmmm, so if we check out these definitions one can see that
adverbial definitions # 2 & 4, along with adjective # 3 & 4, will give us a
clear perspective about what it takes to be considered a
"Thru-Hiker".....and dang I'm not even a lawyer!!!!!!!!!!!
through (thr) preposition
1.	In one side and out the opposite or another side of: went through the
tunnel.
2.	Among or between; in the midst of: a walk through the flowers.
3.	By way of: climbed in through the window.
4.	a. By the means or agency of: bought the antique vase through a dealer.
b. Into and out of the handling, care, processing, modification, or
consideration of: Her application went through our office. Run the figures
through the computer.
5.	Here and there in; around: a tour through France.
6.	From the beginning to the end of: stayed up through the night.
7.	At or to the end of; done or finished with, especially successfully: We
are through the initial testing period.
8.	Up to and including: a play that runs through December; a volume that
covers A through D.
9.	Past and without stopping for: drove through a red light.
10.	Because of; on account of: She succeeded through hard work. He declined
the honor through modesty.

adverb
1.	From one end or side to another or an opposite end or side: opened the
door and went through.
2.	From beginning to end; completely: I read the article once through.
3.	Throughout the whole extent or thickness; thoroughly: warmed the
leftovers clear through; got soaked through in the rain; a letter that was
shot through with the writer's personality.
4.	Over the total distance; all the way: drove through to their final
destination.
5.	To a conclusion or an accomplishment: see a matter through.

adjective
1.	Allowing continuous passage; unobstructed: a through street.
2.	a. Affording transportation to a destination with few or no stops and no
transfers: a through bus; a through ticket. b. Continuing on a highway
without exiting: through traffic; through lanes.
3.	Passing or extending from one end, side, or surface to another: a
through beam.
4.	Having finished; at completion: She was through with the project.
5.	Having no further concern, dealings, or connection: I'm through with
him.
6.	Having no more use, value, or potential; washed up: That swimmer is
through as an athlete.

 idiom.
through and through
1.	In every part; throughout: wet through and through.
2.	In every aspect; completely: a success through and through.
[Middle English thurh, through, from Old English thurh.]

I kind of like the name Thru and Thru Hikers............a success thru and
thru.....
slackpackin'.....sounds thru and thru to me, unless the yellow streaks down
the road become too tempting. Then I could get going with a few thots about
the color of blazes people choose to follow and whether or not yellow mixed
with blue comes out WHITE..........ok enough

nice to be on board and look forward to hearing more>>>
Later
Maine Rune  S to K '96