[at-l] 1997 SLACKPACK TOUR OF THE APPALACHIAN TRAIL

1997 SLACKPACK TOUR OF THE APPALACHIAN TRAIL

APRIL 18, 1997 - FRIDAY

	the alarm went off at 6am.  we wanted to get an early start
because of a long mileage day.  SUNSHINE was up immediately, smiling of
course, turning on the lights, forcing the issue.  we knocked on the wall
to wake up ACHILL (akel) JACK, the name that the irishman finally fessed
up to, and SPIDER.  all of us went to breakfast at the GEORGIA MOUNTAIN
RESTAURANT.  we intended on doing the buffet, but found out that it was
saturday and sunday only.  we stayed and ordered off of the menu, and
were glad we did.  great food and service, plus decent prices...
	as we were leaving town, the time/temperature sign at the bank
indicated 34 degrees, and our destination, DICKS CREEK GAP, is at a
higher elevation, hence colder.  brrrr.  JACK and SPIDER were off first,
then SUNSHINE, and, as usual, i was off last.  the day warmed quickly and
became rather pleasant.  i passed JACK and SPIDER, then headed into
PLUMORCHARD GAP shelter for a privy break.  the shelter is tremendous,
with three lofts.  on the way back to the trail i made friends with a
hiker named SHAMAN (shaw-men).  he is a physical trainer, had purchased
30 pounds of food in HIAWASSEE, walks with two very thick (small tree
trunks) hiking sticks, and is very nice.  i ran across LAURIE and ALLEN,
hikers i had seen previously, but not really spoken to.  we talked for a
while about nothing in particular.  JACK and SPIDER came by also and
joined in.  JACK realized that his glasses were missing, so he and SPIDER
dropped there packs and hiked back to find them...
	today was the day to say goodbye to GEORGIA and hello to NORTH
CAROLINA.  GA did not give up easily, and NC did not offer a warm
reception.  the trail on both sides of the border is steep, with loose
dirt and rocks added in NC.  midday was warm.  the rest of the hike was
uneventful, with the cold slowly creeping in.  at DEEP GAP (USFS 71), our
destination, PAT and KEN had camp completely set up, tents and tarps
included.  also at the gap were a group of trail angels serving food to
hikers.  SUNSHINE had already eaten some veggie chile.  she was very
happy.  i had some chile and lemonade.  i was very happy.  the people
providing the food were from HIAWASSE and FLORIDA, and had been there for
four days.  they had replacements coming that were going to continue thru
sunday.  this kind of angel-ism happens all of the time out here...
	it got very cold very quickly, so SUNSHINE and i said goodbye to
the friendly people, and rejoined PAT and KEN.  it was an early night...

APRIL 19, 1997 - SATURDAY

	the rain began at dawn and lasted less than an hour.  when it
stopped, we all hustled to break camp.  SUNSHINE and i went to say
goodbye to the angels, then we started our hike.  it was cloudy, moist
and cold.  other than that it was a perfect day.  the sun winked at us a
few times, but could not defeat the clouds.  the climb up to STANDING
INDIAN MOUNTAIN is gentle, and the rest of the hike was fairly easy...
	SUNSHINE and i beat the van to MOONEY GAP (USFS 83).  we were wet
and cold.  the van showed up, and we changed into dry clothes and ate.
then we hit the trail again to go over ALBERT MOUNTAIN.  we weren't sure
what the weather conditions would be in the morning, so we figured that
the infamous hand over hand rock climb up the mountain would be best done
in the not so good, but familiar weather.  the hike took us into the
clouds and was fun.  SUNSHINE climbed the fire tower, even though there
was no visibility.  we continued down the mountain, then took the blue
blaze to the ALBERT MOUNTAIN tourist parking lot where KEN was waiting...
	back at camp in MOONEY GAP, the tarps were set up and we pitched
our tents underneath.  rain was predicted.  we gathered wood and got a
fire going.  the wood was wet, so it took some time to get it roaring.
we all snacked or ate, then made JIFFY POP popcorn over the raging fire,
with only some success.  it had a smoky flavor.  the thunder, lightning,
and rain began at dusk.  lights out...

APRIL 20, 1997 - SUNDAY

	the thunder and lighting did not last long last night, but the
rain did persist for a while.  the morning was surprisingly warm, and the
sun was strong.  SUNSHINE decided to do the ascent of ALBERT MOUNTAIN
again and headed out.  i helped break camp, then PAT and KEN dropped me
off at the ALBERT MOUNTAIN parking lot so i could begin my hike, out in
front of SUNSHINE.  what a contrast the day was compared to the previous
days.  the sun was strong, there was very little wind, and it was
relatively warm. just a great day for a hike...
	nothing eventful happened during the hike, and SUNSHINE never did
catch me.  the van was at WINDING STAIR GAP (US 64) when i arrived.
SUNSHINE was not far behind.  we loaded up and headed for FRANKLIN NC.
the FRANKLIN MOTEL gave us a great room for a good price.  four showers
later, we headed for the HICKORY RANCH RESTAURANT, just up the street.
good food, large portions, and the price was right.  when dessert came,
we all got into a laughing jag, quoting the movie MONTY PYTHON's HOLY
GRAIL word for word.  we got to laughing so hard that we were crying...
	KEN and PAT headed out to do laundry and go shopping.  SUNSHINE
headed to the motel's courtyard to read.  i turned on the laptop...

Rick Mann, aka Uncle Rick, aka Pittsburgh
slackpacker@juno.com
800-803-2767