[at-l] Waldo's Feet

>I went by Blue Ridge Outdoors (I think that's what it's called) in Roanoke
>today (and stopped by in Troutville...couldn't find any thru-hikers
><Frown>) and talked with um...oh, I feel like a jerk...I've forgotten his
>name.  A 1995 thru-hiker, a friend of Han Solo's.   He's hiking the PCT
>this year.  Well, anyhow, he gave me some great shoe advice, and showed me
>a few pairs that were ultra-light with excellent support for the balls of
>the feet.  He advised that I see a podiatrist, which was an excellent idea.
>I guess I'll let everybody know what I do!

That hiker was probably "Special K", who before his stint at Blue Ridge
Outdoors was the Manager of Mill Mountain Coffee Shop in the downtown square
in Roanoke.

In regards to your feet, my guess is that you had done the damage before
switching to the lighter pack.  Having met you and knowing that you are
quite slender for your height, I would suspect that you don't have the bone
density of a big 6' 250 lb. dude. Put 60 lbs on that frame and I'm not
surprised that you broke your bones, good boots or not.  If you go super
light, you might be OK in VERY GOOD tennies (such as Sven suggested). But if
you have any kind of weight, I agree with those who think you need a highly
supportive boot (such as a pair of Wildernesses or Rios, etc).  And even
then, I think toting 60+ lbs on your frame is asking for it.  I toted 53 to
start with and have a frame similiar to yours (but I am only 5/9") and I
wore heavy duty Fabiano Rio boots (not the boots I broke my ankle in - those
were Merrell McKinleys and the break had nothing to do with weight).  I
think the Fabianos protected my feet, but my feet still hurt like hell,
cause I think 53 lbs (on my heaviest days) was too much for what eventually
became a 142 lb. hiking body.  When I try to finish this year, I am going to
be down in the low 40's hopefully and will still be wearing my McKinleys
although I am looking for a better boot.  I am not downgrading the sneaker
idea - I would like to try that out myself, but with a very light pack.
Don't know if my broken ankle will like them though.  Good luck - may see
you on the trail! Jan and I are getting ready to do H.F. to Duncannon on 4/20.

Mark
Mark and Janet Holmes-Innkeepers- Fox Hill Inn,Troutdale,VA(1-800-874-3313)
GA-NH '95  MD,PA+NH-ME '97
http://members.tripod.com/~Mark_Holmes/AT.html
Provider of shuttles in SW VA