[at-l] re: New boots!

ken wrote:

>I know that the superlight types on this list are just aghast at me
>putting over four pounds on my feet. Let me just point out that the
>average guy at 160lbs, and the average pack at 40lbs, weighs less than
>me nekked. Add in a monster load packing in the family, and you might
>change your outlook.

hey, no question that large loads require more support.  45lbs would be the
upper limit for me for lightweight footwear.  anything more and i'm back to
my moraines or fabianos.  also, i would never have considered hiking in
"sneakers" until AFTER my thruhike.  2000 miles will do wonders to
strengthen your feet and ankles, plus give you direct, experiential insight
into the relationship bewteen bootweight and hiking comfort.  don't give up
hope, tho!  you may be 210lbs, but i'd be willing to bet that even your
"relatively small feet" and ankles are adapted to carrying your weight.
with practice, your feet could probably carry your 210+40 as well as mine
carry my 135+40.

>So, two questions for the experts:  1) any advice on breaking them in,
>(and no, I won't wear them in the shower), and 2), any advice on
>waterproofing thick rough-out leather (the store recommended Nikwax
>suede treatment).

people swear by the "wear them when wet" rule for breaking in leather
boots.  the idea is that the leather is softer when wet, and will conform
quicker and more easily to the shape of your foot.  strap 'em on, soak 'em
thru, wear 'em till they're dry.  repeat as necessary.  just takes longer
when dry.  my big ol' 5lb fabianos took a couple years before fully broken in.

i like snoseal myself, but nikwax and others also work well.  apply regular
coats (even when they don't get wet), and you'll build up a nice waterproof
layer.  all of those waterproofers wear off and dry out over time and use,
so just be diligent about regular applications.

happy hiking!

mike
ke kaahawe