Re: [at-l] Slumberjack Bivvies

<< Has anyone used either of the two models of the Slumberjack Bivy? The
price
 seems very low in the Campmor catalog. >>

Yes, I have used a Slumberjack bivy for the past two years while section
hiking on the AT.  I was an "under the tarp/starry skies" type sleeper, until
I was introduced to the black flies and mosquitoes in New Jersey and New
York.  I chose the bivy because it is light weight and has screen mess its
entire length, so is less warm than others.  Me and my pack fit inside and
once you are asleep, you don't get the idea that you are sleeping in a
coffin.

One of the poles split on the first one I bought from Campmor, but they
replaced the whole thing with no problem.  I have not spent a night in the
rain with it yet, but look forward to it.  Besides being very light, the bivy
is small enough to set up inside the shelters (after checking with other
present hikers) as it has a very small footprint.

I added a small pocket to my Gregory Palasades pack to accommodate the bivy,
which also allows it to dry should I have to pack it while wet.

The bivy is designed strictly for warm, summer weather and will not handle
snow, ice, etc.  It will probably last for two/three seasons before it has to
be replaced.  It is light and easy to setup, and it meets my needs.

Big E