[at-l] Re: Old Ridgerunner's Hike

This is the second installment of the ORR quest.  He called me today, he
was at Davenport Gap at the northern terminus of the Smokies.  This is
where a store called Mountain Mammas is, it is also where I 40 crosses
the AT, at the moment in NC. He expects to be in Hot Springs on the 16th,
the 17th at the latest.   He wishes everyone could be with him, he is
having so much fun.  Jeannie Sicard, a friend from Northern Vt hiked with
him through the Smokies (Fontana to Davenport Gap) but had a little
trouble with her feet after 10 miles, so they usually stopped hiking
around 10 miles.  Her feet would be fine in the morning when they did
that.

The weather has not been quite as nice as the first 2 weeks.  It stormed
on Saturday and has been around the 20 degree mark at night.  He is nice
and warm in his Wiggly bag (maybe we should give him a different trail
name - Uncle Wiggly!) and he mentioned some of the other hikers have
gotten cold.  When  ORR came off the trail today, he saw another hiker -
trail name ROAM - shivering and eating a can of cold SPAM.

ORR said that there are lots of interesting people on the trail.  One
hiker, GWEN, was a Jehova Witness.  There was a college group from
Berkley - one was named PURPLE HAZE - that stayed 8 in a motel room.
They must of partied up, the police were there when ORR was on the phone
with me.  Also, some hiker named INDIAN KID wrote his name in wet cement
and the police took him off to jail.  Other names:  FRUITCAKE, PEACHES
from Boston, LONE CHAIR, so named because he carries a lawn chair on his
pack.  Apparantly PEACHES and LONE CHAIR met on the trail and figured out
how to stay warm.  ORR hiked for a while with FULL CREW and wants to tell
his family that he is fine, ORR last saw him on Saturday.  He is now
hiking ahead of ORR, but ORR expects to catch up with him again later
this week.

OK - Old RidgeRunner told me he was going to get an ice cream and get
back on the trail.  He figured he could get in another 4-5 miles before
dark, then over SnowBird Mountain tomorrow and on to Hot Springs which is
30 miles north of Davenport Gap.  He will spend 1-2 days there doing
laundry and such.  He will call me from there.

Jan the Wifey