No Subject

THE 1997 SLACKPACK TOUR OF THE APPALACHIAN TRAIL

APRIL 11, 1997 - FRIDAY

	our full compliment is finally together.  our driver, KEN, who we
picked up in ATLANTA yesterday, is fitting in nicely.  after tenting at
GOOCH GAP last night, we drove to DAHLONEGA today for shopping and
laundry.  we then drove to the USFS42 road crossing near SPRINGER
MOUNTAIN, and set up camp, then KEN and i hiked to SPRINGER MOUNTAIN and
back.  LAURA, who has chosen the trail name of SUNSHINE, and her husband
GARY arrived around 6pm.  they transferred everything into the support
van, set up the tent, then hiked to SPRINGER MOUNTAIN and back.  after
some goodbyes, GARY was on his way back to FLORIDA.  SUNSHINE has had a
very hectic week, and is very glad that she is finally here so that she
can unwind...

APRIL 12, 1997 - SATURDAY

	the rains came around midnight and lasted thru mid-morning.
SUNSHINE and i hiked to THREE FORKS (USFS58).  on the way, we met a
couple of thru-hikers at STOVER CREEK SHELTER, TARA and SEVEN IRON. TARA
is from TOMBSTONE AZ, and SEVEN IRON has hit many holes-in-one with his
7-iron.  after setting up camp at THREE FORKS, KEN headed out for a day
hike, and later SUNSHINE and i headed for HIGHTOWER GAP (USFS42/69).  we
met KEN on his return leg.  at HAWK MOUNTAIN SHELTER, there were six
hikers in for the night, including TARA and SEVEN IRON.  SEVEN IRON
pointed to a spot on his cheek and indicated that this was the only spot
on his body that didn't hurt...
	KEN picked us up at HIGHTOWER GAP and we all went back to THREE
FORKS.  we had a wonderful supper which included salad and pasta.
SUNSHINE is a strong hiker out of the gate and wants to go-go-go.  it was
hard holding her to 7.2 miles today.  tommorrow 11.9 miles...

APRIL 13, 1997 - SUNDAY

	everyone slept in, SUNSHINE being the last one up.  she couldn't
believe that she had slept for 10 hours.  i explained that it was her
body needing to repair itself after the unexpected exercise, and that she
will sleep long hours for a while until her body adjusts...
	two weekend hikers showed up and indicated that they could use a
ride to AMICALOLA FALLS STATE PARK, where there car was parked.  the one
hiker was having serious knee peoblems and didn't want to continue.  KEN
drove SUNSHINE and i to HIGHTOWER GAP so that we could begin our hike,
then went back to help PAT finish breaking camp, then they drove the two
hikers to AMICALOLA...
	the day was sunny, chilly, and windy.  SUNSHINE took off quick
from HIGHTOWER GAP, and i didn't see her for the rest of the day.  she
indicated later that she had a wonderful day, which included sightings of
two large HAWKS and ten or so MONARCH BUTTERFLIES.  i passed many hikers,
going both north and south, and was passed twice by a lady jogging on the
trail with her dog...
	SUNSHINE did the 11.9 miles to WOODY GAP (GA 60) in 5-1/4 hours
and was fatigued, i did it in about six hours.  my speed seems to be a
consistant two miles an hour...
	it was a tuna helper and salad supper for the guys, and SUNSHINE,
who is a vegetarian, had ramen noodles, salad, and hot chocolate.  the
wind was whipping, and the temperature was dropping, so we all headed for
our tents before dark...

Rick Mann, aka Uncle Rick, aka Pittsburgh
slackpacker@juno.com
800-803-2767