[at-l] Bob's Journal (aka All The way)

Monday 3/24  06:30 am Black Gap Shelter

Too  tired to write last night.  After all I did put in about 1000 miles
yesterday.  Milt picked me up at the Atlanta Airport.  We went out and
enjoyed some really good Georgia Pig, then onto Amicalola where he
dropped me at the top of the Falls.  Thanks Milt.

I had a great walk up from there.  Nice easy terrain and a smooth Foot
Bed.  On the hike in, I saw some squirrels and I flushed a grouse just
before Nimberwill Gap.  Crashed last night at about 7:30, then I woke up
to see part of the Lunar eclipse.  Dozed off in the middle of it though!
Awakened this morning to the long whooo-whooo of an owl.

A note on my departure.  Very hard to leave Jan and the kids.  I shed
some tears on the plane (not something that I've done very often in my
life).  Once just after take-off, when the thoughs of missing my family
hit me really hard, and once just before landing when I though of how
great life is, that we are free to follow the desires of our hearts.
Life is great.

All The Way

Monday 3/24/97 6:30 pm  Hawk Mountain Shelter

At miles = 7.6  Total day 8.6

Left Black Gap at about 8:30 am.  All the Spring Breakeres who camped
there were still in bed when I was packing up.  Had a couple of nice
easy hills today -- nothing really major, but I did know that I was
hiking up a hill.  I tried to take my time hiking today.  I want to give
this body an opportunity to adjust to trail life.  With that in mind, I
stopped to look at a very pretty purple flower that was about the size
of a dime.  I was going to pick it for Jan, but it was the only one so I
decided to leave it for the other hikers.  I took about an hour for
lunch (ate hot).  Then met up with some other thru hikers.  Saw a really
nice water fall.  I took the Blue Blaze down and back and it was worth
the trip!  About 1 and 1/2 miles before I got to the shelter, I started
to get very tired so ..... I laid down next to the trail and took a 20
minute nap.  Life is great.  Janice, I wish that you and the kids could
be here.  Lots of thru hikers here -- Rufus, Captain, not too old, Blind
Faith & amazing Grace, Bonz, Long Legs and many others.  Settled on "All
The Way" for a trail name.  I had about 30 Spring Breakers ask me
yesterday, "How Far ya goin?"  And my pat reply was "All The Way".  The
phrase also means something to me.  Bringing back memories of when I
used to throw my body out of perfectly good airplanes!

All The Way!

03/25/97  Gooch Gap Shelter 8.5 miles.  Pretty easy day today and a
couple of nice hills.  It was a very gray day, thick fog with
intermittent rain all day long.  Rain started about 4:00 am.  Bivy bag
worked really great!  Tonite is my first night IN a shelter.  I have
been tarping out back, but there aren't any level sites here and the
rain makes staying inside an easy decision.  Hope I don't stay up all
night killing mice.  There are about 15 thru hikers around here tonite.
There seems to be a great polorization in the discussion concerning the
day's hike.  About a third of us had a very good day enjoying the fog,
the hills and the miles.  Two-thirds have been complaining -- one man is
quoted saying that he felt like he was in Hell -- I can't relate to that
-- I fell like I am in Heaven.  Just got dry, full belly, a little tired
-- Heaven!

There has been a significant attrition rate already.  I met one guy on
Springer who tried the Applachian Trail summited Springer and quit.  One
turned back from Stover Creek and two guys who were at Hawk Mt. last
night left -- one turned back to Springer, the other hitched a ride to
Suches with a bad foot.

If the weather isn't too bad tomorrow, I'll probably do the 12.2 to
Blood Mt.

All The Way!

Wednesday 3/26/97  6:30 pm Gooch Gap to Blood Mt. Shelter  12.2 miles.

Here in the "Stone House" shelter with One Life, Captain Spaulding and
Tumbleweed.  Left Gooch Gap in the rain at about 8:00 o'clock this
morning.  Around Noon the sun came out and it really got nice -- cold
but nice.  Captain Spaulding, One Life and myself are the only ones here
from Gooch Gap last night.  It seems to be a little too long of a day
for all of us -- will lighten up tomorrow.  Feet and knees are in great
shape -- no blisters.  IT Band pain virtually non-existent.  Very, very
tired though -- time to crash.

All The way

Thursday 3/27/97   Blood Mt. Shelter to Walasi Yi at Neels Gap  2.4
miles.  Had an eventful night at Blood Mt. shelter. Several thru hikers
had really taken space in the back room.  So Tumbleweed, Red and I
grabbed floor space.  The place is like a dungeon, but I was too tired
to go on.  Around 8:00 pm in Stumbles, thru hiker, Smiles, who is very,
very cold and exhausted.  Kept an eye on her until she got her bag and
got something to eat.  I thought that was enough excitement for the
night but later on Red wakes up with a skunk inches from his face.  We
think he wanted into Red's bag with him (VBG).  He then checked out
Tumbleweed and came over to the other side of the room where Smiles and
I were -- all I could say was "Lady, please don't scream".  All this
time (while the skunk was away from them), Red and Tumbleweed are
harassing the critter and shining their lights on it.  He checked out
the other room, but nobody in there even woke up!  Then he left and Red
stacked rocks by the door so he couldn't come back in.

I woke up at 5:00 am, packed my stuff (waking up everybody in the
process), ate some cold oats and headed out around 6:00.  Beautiful day,
terrific sunrise -- no wind -- warm.  I got to talk to Janice and the
kids.  Only 2.4 miles -- all of it downhill.  I feel I'm in Heaven
again!  The hot shower felt good.  Fresh apple and ham sandwiches were
o.k. too.

Oh yeah, if you read this far, you get to find out the shit I send home
and stuff I got.  First the acquisitions:  Light weight Capilene shirts
and shorts; Dana designs pack ply with hood; 1 liter platy pus.  Now the
stuff I sent home:  Poncho, book, one Nalgene bottle, gloves, fleece
pants, sun glasses, thermometer, a small flower for Janice and some
rocks for the kids.  One-half of the thru hikers companion -- total
weight -- just under six pounds.  So, some of ya'll were right!  I'll
keep you posted concerning additional changes.  Another note:  two more
folks that I've met left the trail today and Captain Spaulding sprained
an ankle.  He went to the doctor and is weighing his options.  He just
found out.  Two or three weeks off and some trail magic got him a free
ticket home to Milwaukee.  He said that he's gonna recover and do a
Southbound!

Good Friday  3/28/97  Neels Gap to Whitney Gap shelter 6.2 A.T. miles
plus 1.2 miles Blue Blaze to the shelter.

Left Neels Gap at about 8:30 this morning in the rain.  By the time I
reached Cow Rock Mt., I was soaked from the rain and very cold because
of the wind.  I knew that hypothermia had become a reality in my life.
So, it was at this point that I decided to abort my plans to make it to
Low Gap shelter.  I considered my options to either set up bivouac once
I had gotten off Cow Rock or go a couple of more miles to the 1.2 mile
Blue Blaze to Whitney Gap shelter.  Since I hate to set up in the rain,
I decided that the couple of extra (Blue Blaze) miles would be worth it.
I also felt like I really could use some solitude.  Now I have it.  It's
almost 5:00 pm and I have the place to myself!  Just sitting in my bag,
had a hot bath, a couple of cups of hot tea, an MRE Chicken Stew with
carrots.  It tasted great and some lemon pudding that I yogied from the
hiker box at Neels Gap.  I'm very happy now.  I miss Janice and the kids
very much, but I know that they are really into this with me.  It is
very serene here -- watching and listening to the rain pour down,
looking at the map and the guide book to see where I'll go tomorrow --
maybe.

Neels Gap was supposed to be for a day of rest, but this place is more
restful.  In retrospect, Neels seemed so busy l-- check in, get a bunk,
take a shower, wash clothes, buy gear, ship stuff home, buy food, pick
up mail drop, pack and repair backpack, send postcards, make plans and
revise plans.  Then you see everybody else doing the same thing.  And
some left the trail for injury and paid and some left the trail for
attitude.  Hiking partners split up and some solo hikers found partners
for awhile.  But here, I rest and think of my friend, my lover, my
wife.  All The Way.

Saturday, 3/29/97  Whitney Gap shelter to Low Gap shelter 4.4 AT miles
1.2 Blue Blaze miles.  Short easy day.  Small hills.  Body was tired.
Last night about 7:00 pm, two people (ill-manered and untrained) Yellow
Blazed and hitched a ride to Whitney Gap.  They had a very big, wet and
dirty German shepherd that they brought into the shelter who spent the
night licking his genitals and scratching his fleas.  These were the
first folks that I've met that I didn't hit off with real well.  I saw
them again this afternoon at Low Gap with their dog in the water source.
Enough bitching.

Had a really great day.  Met up with John Redman and Elliot (Elwood).
Lots of people either in the shelter or in the area tonight.
Tumbleweed, Aunt Mabel, Mt. Laurel, Hot Pursuit, Keddie, Lars The Viking
and others.  All The Way.

Easter Sunday 3/30/97  Low Gap Shelter to Blue Mt. Shelter 7.2 miles.
Glorious day!  Mostly easy going.  Ridge walks and some dips.  I got
here pretty early, but decided to make sure that I take it easy on the
legs for the next couple of weeks.  I've seen too many get off already
because of shot knees.  Here tonight watching the rain come in with
Gadget (26 yr. old) from Long Island, Hot Legs from West VA, Aunt Mabel
from New Hampshire, Sandy Long Legs from Mass. and Tumbleweed (34 yr.
old) from Texas.  A very interesting group.  All of the ladies are
grandmas, but they are really tearing up the miles.  View is gone,
clouds and rain are here.  Time to hit the sack.  All The Way.

Monday 3/31/97  Blue Mt. Shelter to Tray Mt. shelter 7.7 miles.
What an excellent day!  Down - up - down - up.  Only two hills all day.
Big hills, but only two.  Cold all day long.  Left Blue Mt. in the snow
shower -- hiked fast -- one two minute Almond Joy break and then about
one mile from Tray Mt. there is Trail Angel, Linda Turner, with a cooler
full of cokes, oranges and Little Debbie snacks!  Wow, that was great!
Got hot and sweaty with hiking, but very, very cold when stopping even
for a minute.  Here tonight with Gadget from Long Island, a paramedic
(26 yrs old - married four years), Hot Legs from West VA (about 45 yrs -
married 30 years).  She is a former heavyweight lifting champ in her
weight class and a marathoner (six grandchildren).  Aunt Mabel (who
kindly carried some water up from the spring for me today) from New
Hampshire and a Librarian with five grandchildren.  Sandy Long Legs, a
former Naval officer married to a retired Army officer, Signal Corps --
three grandchildren and Jason (18 yrs old) and no trail name yet from
Syracuse, NY.  Camping outside are Carolina Phoenix, The Merry Widow and
Hog Trails who think she may recognize me from a biker function (could
be, I thought that she looked somewhat familiar).  Also outside are Mud
Bug from Louisiana and Mountain Laurel.  Don't remember if I told you,
but Captain Spaulding got a second opinion on his ankle,
chucked the train ticket and is back hiking -- yahoo!

Getting a little cold now.  Time to eat and get in the bag. Eve, Philip,
Rachel -- can't wait to see you.  Sweetheart, I really miss you.  Thanks
for your support.  All The Way.

4/1/97  Tray Mt. shelter to Dick's Creek Gap  10.6 miles.
Very cold morning.  Water bags, water bottles and filters frozen.  Got
moving fast and got warm fast.  10.6 miles in five hours and forty-five
minutes.  Nice hills.  Walked half way to Hiawassee (about 4 road miles)
-- motel, call home, shower - crash.  Good food.  New Ayce place behind
the hospital.  All The Way.

4/2/97  Dicks Creek Gap  to Plum Orchard Gap shelter  4.3 miles.
What a super day!  Sun shining -- real easy hike from Hiawassee at about
Noon.  Saw lots of other thru hikers in town.  Saw quite a few going
home too.  This shelter is incredible -- a tripple decker, heavy timber
with excellent construction.  From what I understand, the rangers
aircrafted the material in.  Right now (6:00 pm), I have the place
almost to myself.  Everybody else is either in town or making a made
dash for Georgia/NC state line.  I am enjoying the solitude and I am in
no rush to get out of these beautiful hills.  One more day to savor the
beauty of the A.T. in the great state of Georgia.

My body is starting to understand what is going on.  Appetite is back to
normal.  No knee or foot troubles.  No blisters, few aches or pains and
almost no Ibuprofen or aspirin.  The hardest thing about this trip so
far is that when the sun rises, or the sun sets and I turn to remark of
its beauty to Janice and the kids, that they are only in spirit and not
in person.  I'm not homesick mind you, but I do miss the ability to
immediately share the many joys of this trip with my family......like
the woodpecker drilling holes in a tree a few yards to the south of this
shelter right now.  The breeze softly rustling the leaves and the sun
disappearing over the horizon.

People notes:  Carolina Phoenix is taking several days off to nurse
blown knees.  Cherokee told me this morning that he is going back to
Arizona.  Rufus, Sam and Captain Spaulding are pushing to Franklin, NC.
They refuse to stay at the Blueberry Patch as a matter of principle --
no alcohol, no smoking -- they wont stay!  The last time I saw
Tumbleweed was I think, on Blue Mt.  He was having a rough day and was
having a hard time keeping a positive attitude.  All The Way

4/3/97  Plum Orchard Gap shelter  to Standing Indian shelter  12.1
miles.

Very nice day -- around 30 degrees and clear last night.  Very warm and
clear today.  Got some sunburn on the arms (mostly my right one -- it
seems like the sun was on my right side all day long).  Yogied some sun
block for my already red neck from some section hikers, but they were
almost out, so there wasn't enough for my arms.  Did some great hills
today, especially the hike up out of Bly Gap.  Standing Indian Mt. was
like a cake walk -- no blisters, no pain (except sunburn), black flies
are a real pain.  Glad I kept the Deet.  Seem to be inbetween big groups
-- yahoo!  Here tonight with Stick (New Hampshire), Kentucky and Hot
Legs.   All The Way

Friday  4/4/97  Standing Indian Mt. shelter to Big Spring shelter 14.5
miles.

The miles came easy today and then there was the nicest climb yet.  The
quarter mile ascent of Albert Mt. 5,250 ft.  Very nice view from the
top.  Sitting in the shelter now with Blind Faith, Amazing Grace, Hot
Legs and Privy Man watching the fire that Blind Faith built.  Slacker
and Yahoola just came in for shelter tonight at 7:30 pm.  Well, 97.3
miles to date.  Will break 100 tomorrow, if I don't opt for a day off.
Weather has been holding very nicely, but clouds are rolling in and rain
is in the forecast for the next three or four days.  Eyelids are heavy.
All The Way.

Saturday  4/5/97  Big Spring Shelter to Wallace Gap (Rainbow Spring Camp
Ground) 6.0 miles.  Nice easy day so far!  Did six miles to here in less
than two hours.  Very nice terrain with nice views too.  Lots of thru
hikers are headed to Franklin to party tonight.  Quite a mellow crowd
here.  Slacker, Yahoola, Blind Faith, Amazing Grace, Hot Legs, Pirate,
the Virginia Yak, Mr. & Mrs. Going Home, Privy Boy and a few others.  I
saw One Life today.  He was headed to Siler Bald and wanted to get to
Fontana in four days.  Maybe I'll catch with him in the Smokies or AT
Hot Springs again.  Just had a shower, clean clothes and now it's time
for pizza!  All The Way.

Sunday 4/6/97  Rainbow Springs Campground 0.0 miles.  Very hard rain
this morning.  Made it easy to decide to take the day off.  Just spent
the day hanging out, talking to other hikers, eating, resting and eating
some more!  Went through the pack again trying to decide what else I can
send home.  Sprayed the Hydrenaline jacket and pants with silicone in an
attempt to make them hybrophobic again.  Seems to have worked well, but
I won't be able to tell until I'm out in the rain for four or five
hours.

I talked for a long time to Janice and the kids.  Everything is well --
looking forward to seeing them soon!  Also called Mom and Dad and wished
Dad Happy Birthday -- life is good!  All The Way.

Monday  4/7/97  Wallace Gap to Cold Spring Shelter  18.9 miles.  Great
Day.  A little cool, but good miles.  Supposed to get very cold tonight.
Freeze and mouse warnings have been issued.  Here with Lamont, Hamhock,
Numb, Yahoola and Hot Legs.  Terrain was nice for hiking.  Not too many
rocks --some nice ups and downs.  Crowds are thinning out a little more.
Got to hike alone all day long.  Stretched out and did 18.9 miles in a
little over seven hours.  Feel good, only minor aches -- no pain or
blisters.  I think that the miles are coming easier because my body is
starting to realize that the faster I hike, the sooner I get to see
Janice.  I got to speak with One Life the other day -- I think he is
about two days ahead now.  Hope to see him again.  Spirits are high,
looking forward to NOC tomorrow, then Fontana and the smokies.  All The
Way.