[at-l] Poison ivy, oak and sumac

I am not an expert on these plants but becuse my allergy is so severe I
have taken it upon myself to learn all I can about them.  I am allergic to
the oil in the plants poison ivy, oak and sumac; all members of the cashew
family.  I've taught prevention and treatment for 10 years to camp groups.
The poison oil (urishol) can be blocked if you wish to spray exposed areas
with spray deodorant before exposure.  The vehicle which expels the
deodorant blocks the oils.  You must re-spray as often as needed.  And if
exposed do not use soap (that is an old falsehood). It actually helps the
oils to penetrate the skin.   Wash under lots of cool running water.  If
you still get the rash many anti-itch creams are available such as
cortisone and Benedryl with anti-histimine.  None works too well for me but
I do know a process where it will dry up in two days instead of the 2 weeks
normal period.  Use cloth compresses dipped in the hottest water your skin
can stand.  Lay these hot compresses on your affected skin until cool,
repeat as necessary.  In the beginning this will cause it to itch more but
after doing this a few times a day for two days, it begins to dry out.  It
is not good to expose poison ivy rash to the sun as this causes it to burn
more severely. Cover with white bandages or bandanas.

Most people can identify the three-leaved poison ivy and oak plants easily
and are most commonly seen growing up trees with the hairy vines and tiny
yellowish-white berries. Both plants are woody, vine-type plants ivy has
jagged three leaf clusters and oak has rounded, scalloped triplet leaves.
Other than this they are similar in their growth patterns and habitat.
Sumac poison is a tree (toxicodendron Vernix) not to be confused with the
red-fruiting type, staghorn sumac (Rhus typhina).  It is about 25', the
bark is gray or black, thin and usually smooth but sometimes fissured.  The
sap is clear but turns black on exposure.  The leaves are pinnately
compound (a long palm-like frond) 7-12' long, in clusters of 13 eliptical
or ovate without teeth, green above and slightly paler and hairy beneath.
The staghorn sumac has saw-toothed leaves.   The leaves on both are orange
to bright red in the fall. The poisonous type often grows in wet, open
areas but also in shady hardwood forests.  The staghorn grows in upland
areas, edges of forests and along roadsides and open fields. The poisonous
type has a yellowish-white, waxy berry, the staghorn has red.  To be safe,
I learned what the tree looks like and stay from anything resembling it.
All parts of these plants carry the oil; the roots, the leaves, the twigs,
the berries. Be careful what you burn because when burned the oils go off
with the smoke and are inhaled by sensitive people who can get it in their
respiratory tract as well as on their skin.

As for "IVYALL" immunizations for prevention,  the FDA banned its use in
1995.  The new recommended prevention is at health food stores and is
called RHUS tablets.  I have not tried them yet but my doctor said they are
the only thing he knows that 'may' prevent it.   A pound of knowledge is
worth a ton of Caladryl.  Hope this helps. Happy Hiking.
                  Slim (of Bogey and Slim) of York, PA