[at-l] AT at west end of Smokies

This past Thursday, I was staying in the Park Service Cosby campground in the
Smokies. I dayhiked the Lower Mt. Cammerer trail, looking for an old manway
that leads up Ground Hog Ridge to the firetower at Mt. Cammerer. (Pete F., are
you reading this? Still goin'!) Couldn't locate the manway, so I continued on
Lower Mt. Cammerer to the AT and hiked on up to Cammerer from there.

The view from Cammerer is magnificent in all directions since the Friends of
the GSMNP restored the tower platform.

Along the way on the AT (going the wrong way this time of year!) I met seven
thru-hikers. Got the trail name of three of them: Red Top, Bulldog, and
Breakaway. I was wondering if anyone on here knows any of the three. None of
them read the AT-L, though. Great folks!

The weather in the Smokies has been beautiful the last eight days or so. The
nights have been pretty cold. Red Top said the ground at Mt. Collins froze hard
and there was a fair amount of snowfall Wednesday nite. It rained in the
Smokies last night for the first time since last week.

MichaelV
Chattanooga Hiking Club
ChattTnUSA