[at-l] Firestarters & stoves

FYI---
I learned this years ago from the Girl Scout program and most of you
probably know it too but I will pass it along for those who do not.  Use a
paper egg carton.   Fill the little cups as far as you like with melted
candle wax or parafin, soaking the paper as much as possible.  Let them
cool, break apart, and take the little buggers on hikes and they will start
a fire in the most desperate of situations and if you use citronella
candles you have a bug repellant (don't cook over this one).  This is part
of our emergency equipment as we never build fires on our hikes except in
emergencies.

 We still do not desire to use a stove although we own two of them. They
are light enough but I'd rather carry Gatorade, given a choice.  The
cook-type foods have no appeal for us.  You know what?  Its nice to not
smell the Coleman fuel when opening the pack because the valve wasn't
closed properly, not worrying about the possibility of leaking fuel, and
the need to separate all gear from the stove and fuel. It has made hiking
s-o-o-o much easier.  And best of all 3lbs of Gatorade is a GREAT
trade-off.
                   Happy Hiking,       Slim (of Bogey & Slim)