[at-l] Met Thru Hikers

  Had a good day on the trail the other day. It started out a bit
chilly then warmed up to the high 60's low 70's by mid day. I
met about 20 hikers in all, about ten were thru hikers.
   I caught a glimpse of Poombah as she whizzed by ( a real
trail babe if I might say so with no time for idle chatter ). She
did leave a nice note at my cooler, but I think it was the cold
beer talking.
   I got to visit with Gypsy for a little while at Mountain Mommas
between her doing laundry and scarfing down ice cream cones.
She seemed to be doing pretty good with the usual hope of a
few nice days with no rain. She mentioned her feet getting a bit
sore and not hiking as long in the day as she used to. The fact
that some of her toes were going numb worried her. I mentioned
that many hikers I talked to during my thru said the same thing
and mine stayed numb for a few months after I had finished. She
was excited to be getting  her dog back and I could tell I was difficult
for her to wait until the next morning.
   About six more hikers arrived and busied themselves with
chowing down and doing laundry. The clotheslines were full of
sopping wet clothes as the spin cycle on the washer had died. No
one seemed to care much as long as the grill was still working. It
appeared it was going to be a full house as I wished all good luck
and departed.
  I can't explain why I feel so good after sharing stories of the trail
with people setting out to do what I did 3 years ago. I guess I'm
just a trail spirit junky. whatever it is, I can't get enough.

                      K/T = W   David Ireland   Sleeper 94