Re: [at-l] funny story

On Tue, 8 Apr 1997 BLISTERFREE@delphi.com wrote:

Newfound Gap must have the worst ratio of vehicles to successful hitches on
> the entire trail (with the possible exception of New Jersey/NY).  The
> tourists pass by in huge numbers, but are simply not tuned into the hiking
> scene.  Most aren't locals, as I discovered waiting for the traditional hour
> or so for a ride, reading license plates all the while.
>   Finally overheard several people in the nearby parking area discussing with
> amazement their "newfound" discovery of a 2000 mile trail that people hike
> all the way thru.  Thought I'd go over and become "Exhibit A" for them.
> Became a spokesperson before I knew it, with about 8 people gathering around
> for questioning.  Felt kinda cheesy when the lecture degraded to a rather
> desperate sounding "Can someone give me a ride into Gatlinburg now?"

Some times you have to give Karma to get it.  Or you have to give trail
magic to get it.   About 5 years ago I was cycling through South America
and could barely speak spanish.  Everyday I would go from town to town
and pull into the main square.  I was quite the spectacle with all my
flashy gear.  Eventually a crowd would form and I would entertain with
wild stories for about an hour.  Then at the end I would ask does any
body know where I can pitch a tent, in my most broken innocent spanish.
Soon enough I was in somebody's backyard or in a warm shower.

What goes around comes around.

Cheers,
Kieran