[at-l] Re: Simmering and Fuel

JDForbes7@aol.com wrote:

>    Actually I found the soot not to be much of a problem.  It's
>basically  just on the bottom and sides of the pot.

Hiyall.
I'm a ZZZipper too and one thing I've noticed about the soot.....
The _nature_ and _amount_of the soot changes with use.

When you learn to stay away from evergreen wood, which burns dirtier,
and learn the timing of adding wood, so as not to have a great deal of
fresh fuel in at anyone time, the amount of soot is minimized.

Also, after a good coating of the carbon(??) builds up, it is much more
likely to stay on the pot and not on your hands.  Rather than what one
would consider soot, it reaches a more cohesive texture..slightly
tacky.  I do take care to slip my zip into a bag to protect my other
gear.

I think the _real_ issue about the zip however, lies not in the stove,
but in the hiker.  Freeman said it well...if you really enjoy a
campfire, ...I mean the poking and feeding and gazing, then you
might enjoy the zip.

I know it sounds weird, but on my training hikes, all winter, 6 out
of 7 days a week,  I cooked either my breakfast or lunch on my little
zip.  The relaxation I gained was tremendous.  I guess maybe I'm a
pyromaniac at heart <<<G>>>.  i am sold on this thing.  BTW..The little
fan works great if you ever need to start a real campfire...beats
blowin' on it.

Bottom line for weekends or week long hikes, the zip goes with but...
when I thru, what Sandy says below is impressive....

SANDY@mayo.edu wrote:
>our stove and fuel weight for seven days
>is 11.5 ozs, which is lighter than most stoves without fuel, like
>the Whisperlite , Apex , Zip or in your case Svea

snip

>Whoops forgot to mention, our stove is a Primus 3273 Titanium,
>( 3.5 ozs with Piezo ignitor ), which I can't say enough good
>things about. Incredible piece of equipment.

This kind or weight reduction cannot be ignored....If I can just
get over my dislike/mistrust of liquid fuels.....      Kahley