[at-l] Lightening the Load

For what its worth.....
I've been reading the list on the subject of shedding gear for weight
savings.  This writer, a woman,  is not as strong as most (if not all) men
and weight has a great bearing (no pun intended) on me; my physical
stamina, balance, and the ability to keep up with my husband.  He carries
about 36-40 lbs and I about 28-30.  I hike best and feel better when my
pack is between 25-28 lbs.  We read in the ATN (July-Aug 1995) about
Grandma Gatewood and her adventures with little of the high-tech gear we've
become accustomed to using.  What impessed me most about her gear was that
she carried no stove.  She ate nuts, berries, and other finger foods.  We
decided then that we would get rid of the stove (a Svea) and all the pots,
pans, utensils, dishes, windscreen,  dish soap and scrubbers and we cut at
least 3 lbs from our packs.

We've hiked in minus 5 degrees to 98 degrees and we do fine.  We eat well
and never have to clean up anything which saves time when you want to get
out on the trail. Therefore, there is no sanitation problem or possibility
of getting ill from poor cleaning.  We are purists in the fact that we
never wash things in a stream, we always carry a small basin for washing
far away from the water source,  and this water hauling was a drag just for
dishes.   We look forward to stops in towns where we down a few hot meals,
and we do not miss the hot trailfood.  My hubby hates dehydrated foods
anyhow. He'd rather starve.  MRE's were good but heavy, but we still take a
few of those and eat them warm after they sit in the sun.  We carry
aluminum drinking cups for emergencies when we could build an Indian fire
and heat water in them.   Also, if we stand at the shelter with empty cups
out-stretched someone donates food [ just kidding, folks :-> :-) ]   We
carry dried fruits, cereal bars, sharp cheese, Ritz Crackers, summer
sausage, pepperoni, fig bars, tuna in the pop-top cans(what a blessing, no
can opener), little packages of mayo, pickle relish; salt, boullion cubes,
pretzels, potato chips or sticks, Doritos (high in Potassium), Gatorade,
hard candy, Krispie Treats and kippered snacks or sardines.  We eat very
well and its great for when its raining and we just want to crash into the
tent.

We realize that the thru-hikers probably look forward to a hot meal and the
joy of creative cooking after a long hard day so this is our way and not
advice for anyone else.
                                  Slim of Slim and Bogey