[at-l] Gypsy's Journal - Vol 4

[Wednesday, March 19, cont. - NOC]

Thank God I decided to hike into NOC this afternoon. The shower, laundry
and meals were worth it. This evening I attended a bluegrass jam session
which was outstanding. About 10 musicians in all - ending with "Will the
Circle be Unbroken." Tomorrow I'll check out a sale on Patagonia before I
leave - maybe I can talk myself into needing something ;-) This evening I
also met "Trail Mix" and his dog, "Woody." I've been hearing about them
for a couple of weeks now.

[Thursay, March 20 - NOC to Sassafra Gap Shelter]

I was planning to be at Fontana today but I got a little behind in my
schedule. Smoky and I had to walk 1/2 mile to a gas station/minimart this
morning to buy dog food. He seems to be eating about 1# a day now. Boo Boo
wasn't ready to leave until 11am, so we had the "killer" ascents to do in
the afternoon - not my best time of day. We got to Sassafras Gap Shelter
about 5:30pm, late because we stopped to enjoy the views along the way.
Trail Mix and Woody beat us here and were the only ones at the shelter and
I decided to set up my tent. There aren't any really level sites here but
it'll have to do for the night.

I have been foretunate to have been the recipient of trail magic along the
way - several times from Firefly. At the shelter before NOC there was a
package of 'Honest to Goodness' corn tortillas. I had some with my Mexican
Rice dinner. Those little surprises along the trail really can make your
day!

I called the Fontana Motel this morning before leaving NOC to confirm that
I'm getting close and will be there in 3 or 4 days. They told me I have
lots of mail waiting and I'm anxious to get there. I just love the small
businesses that cater to thru hikers - they seem to take such a personal
interest in us and try to help in lots of little ways. I appreciate the
personal attention I got at Rainbow Springs Campground also.

[Friday, March 21 - Sassafras Gap Shelter to Brown Fork Shelter]

**** Yeah! First Day of Spring! ****

I tented at Sassafras Gap Shelter last night as Trail Mix and Woody got
there first. Today, Boo Boo and I spent 45 minutes admiring the views from
Cheoah Bald. We met Gary and Alan, section hikers from Florida, along the
trial. After one hellacious climb up out of Sweetwater Gap we stopped at
Brown Fork Shelter. Here, we read some disturbing news in the shelter
register which confirmed rumors we'd heard along the trail. We were very
happy when Snail, Sardine and Scooter showed up. This shelter has been
recently rebuilt and is great, but the trail to the privy has switchbacks
which should tell you something about the terrain!

(Note from Milt: I'm not sure what Gypsy meant by disturbing news in the
shelter register. When I hear more about this I'll let you know. In the
mean time if anyone knows what this is about please let me know, thanks.)

[Saturday, March 22 - Brown Fork Shelter to Fontana Lake Overlook]

Another day in Paradise! Cloudless blue sky, warm sun and cool breezes. We
arrived at Cable Gap Shelter too early to stop for the day so continued
on.  Found a wonderful campsite overlooking Fontana Lake where we could
set up our tents facing the east and the sunrise. Should be a relatively
short hiking day into Fontana tomorrow morning. Will spend two nights
there attending to resupplying, finding a vet to check a blister Smoky has
developed, finding a 6 pack (in a dry county), and some tortilla chips and
jalapeno dip!

Actually the beer is for a scientific experiment. The last time I drank
only a 1/2 can of beer and got a headache that lasted for 2 days. I
assumed the beer was dehydrating me. But, that's not fair to the beer to
lay blame on only one incidence. So, I'm planning to do a series of tests
involving various beers, in varying amounts, in different weather
conditions, at different altitudes, in different states, etc. This test
should take about 6 months, coincidentally last the duration of my thru
hike! Maybe Wingfoot could add a page to his gear survey ;-)

[Sunday, March 23 - on to Fontana...]

What a day! Left our campsite at 8am and got to Fontana Dam Visitors
Center around 11am. Jeff picked us up and delivered us to Fontana Motel
where he and Nancy made us feel at home. They saw to it we had everything
we needed, took us to get meals, drove us to NOC for equipment repairs,
etc. "Hickory" arrived also and he, Boo Boo and I stayed up talking until
the late, late hour of 11pm... We have lots of errands to to run tomorrow.
I was overwhelmed with all the mail I had waiting and intent to reply to
it all during the next week.

(And now, the real skinny on Friar Tuck. -Milt)

It was a surprise to me the depth of feelings stirred up by the account of
my pack reduction by Friar Tuck. He and Wes -are- the same. While I don't
want to stir up a dead subject I have to vouch for his integrity and good
intentions. He is a very generous person and as nice as anyone can be. I
think it started out by his commenting on stuff I didn't need and sort of
grew into an exercise beyond its original intent. It became very comical
while it was happening. He was, in fact, correct that I didn't need most
of the stuff he took out. A couple of the items, well...I probably should
have kept. But, I found it humorous and still do. I'm usually a very
assertive person which made it even more amazing. Anyway, thanks to
everyone for caring, and thanks to Wes for trying to help me out.

-Gypsy

--
    Milt WeBB - IQ Software Corporation - 3295 River Exchange Drive
     Norcross, Georgia USA 30092 - 770/446-8880x245 - www.iqsc.com