Re: [at-l] rain and tent set-up

MARTY46ER@aol.com wrote:
> here's another request for your expert advice -
> not that it's going to rain at anytime while i'm out, but for
> the record - is there any best way to set up a stake-down tent (walrus
> swift) when its raining?  fly first, crawl under and put down ground
> cloth, then struggle with poles etc.  assume no lean-to to provide
> shelter while under construction.

On the theory that it's best to minimize the time it takes to set a tent
up while still taking reasonable precautions to keep the tent itself
dry, here's how we set up our Sierra Designs Orion in the rain (with
two people):

(1) put down the ground cloth, quickly, then lay the tent on top of it,
quickly, then lay the fly over it all.
(2) quickly put the tent up while keeping the fly draped over it.
(3) quickly stake out the fly.

I think the key word is quickly.  We're put it up in some rainstorms and
the tent was quite dry inside.

David

appell@together.net
http://www.together.net/~appell