Re: [at-l] (Long) Katadin > Springer

 July, August and September are the 3 best months for hiking from the north
to south weather wise that is. This is usually the dry season so the rivers
are low and the ground is dry and the black flies are gone. This makes
conditions great for hiking. There is one draw back, this is the hottest
time of the year. You will need the prepare accordingly.
 How far you can go before weather drives you form the trail and if you can
finish in one hike is totally up to you. The 100 miles wilderness is
actually a little more than 100 miles. As far as food supply, this is
something you need to work out according to your own ability and appetite.
 It sounds like you have some time before you start your adventure. You
might want to test a few things out first. Try out some of the things you
have read on this list a nd see if they work for you. I don't know how much
experience you have with backpacking but if you are just starting out you
might want to find out what your ability is first. Maine, New Hampshire and
Vermont can be a little over welling starting out new and unprepared. I
don't mean to discourage just prepare. Good hiking.

   Washington Stick

http://www.hack.net/lists *