[at-l] KneeQuestion

I'm having an interesting on-again/off-again problem with my right knee and
am curious to get a question answered.

First, problem description:  When I walk up stairs (any stairs, regardless
of pitch), on occasion (very random)  my right knee will sing out -- very
sharp pain.  It's right on top of the joint, not to either side.  This
doesn't happen every time, only once in a while (when my guard is down, I
think...).  I've conjured up this notion that my knee cap is floating around
and when it floats too far -- ouch!

Second, the question:  I'm getting ready to do some hiking in Nantahala Nat.
Forest and don't want a bum knee while I'm out there.  Would I be wise to
take some sort of knee brace with me, just in case?  I've never needed
something like this -- I'm only familiar with ankle wraps because that seem
to be my accident of choice -- so I'm not sure if the $$$ plunked down on
one of those elasticized knee brace thingys would be worth it.

Any comments?

Thanks,
Lynn