Re: [at-l] Stove Fuel

Hello Pat, I did some checking on the regulations re: compressed gas
fuels. Basically there is a special information sheet that must be
filled out at the time of shipment. There is a label that goes on the
package containing the fuel stating the exact content and directing the
package to "cargo planes only." The fuel container must be inspected to
insure that the filler valve has a "safety" cover on it. The fuel must
be shipped on a "next day delivery" basis. They don't want fuel sitting
around for days. Oh yes, next day delivery can run as much as $35 (U.S.)
per shipment. The fuel is the only thing that can be in the package. Food
and such must be shipped separately.

It think it would be way to costly to ship compressed gas fuel. White gas
can be purchased by the ounce in many places. An entire gallon only costs
about $3.00.

I have been told that after a certain date no one is allowed to climb Mt
Katahdin because of the danger from sudden and violent winter storms.
Maybe someone on the list can confirm this and give more specific info.
If this is true then there may be an advantage to south bound hiking.
There is no restrictions on the southern end of the AT. Our winters must
be respected in the southern mountains but there is just no comparison to
the extreme weather of the north. October and November in the south can be very cold but usually these months are pleasant with low temperatures
above freezing.

I have also been told that the insects on the north end of the AT are not
only huge but also hungary! I don't belief this but it was told to me as
truth, the black flies are so huge that they have aircraft side numbers
on them. Maybe someone on the list will set me straight on this also.

All in all, I thinks the better plan is to hike south to north and use
white gas for stove fuel. Hopeful