Re: [at-l] Why Georgia - Maine

Pat Dreyer wrote:

> Why?  Is it solely because of climate?  It sounds as if the trail becomes
> pretty congested, with the "migratory herd" all heading north.

I think climate is part of it - you start in spring and finish in fall.
But I think there is a true trail culture since so many people start in
Georgia. If you hike where there are fewer people, you don't really get
as much of the thru-hiker atmosphere. Don't knock me you southbounders,
but I know it's alot eaiser meeting people going s->north.

As for migratory herds, hahahahah. that's funny. I don't think it's
*that* crowded on the trail.

> He has a question...  Why doesn't anyone use gas stoves - all hikers in
> this country use them.  Any particular reason?

We use gas stoves, but there are different types of gases. The most
popular stove burns coleman fuel (white gas). White gas is cheap, burns
clean, burns efficiently, and is pretty easy to find here in the states.
Gas as in gasoline smells bad, is sooty and nasty. :P

> BTW, without the information gained from this AT post, he would not have
> been nearly as well-prepared as he is now.   Thanks everyone..

mission accomplished. :)

--
Diana ^(raven)^ * raven@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu
http://www.geckoworld.com/~raven