Re: [at-l] Fw: Shelters in the Smokies

At 08:13 PM 3/27/97 -0500, you wrote:

>----------
>> From: Joe Robinson <bogey1@worldlynx.net>
>> To: at-l@saffron.hack.net
>> Subject: Shelters in the Smokies
>> Date: Thursday, March 27, 1997 8:09 PM
>>
>> To whomever has hiked through the Smokies;
>> We have some questions about the shelters.
>> In general how many people do the shelters hold?
>> How close is the fence to the shelter?
>> Is there enough room for some privacy for changing clothes, etc.?
>> Are there privies nearby at each shelter?
>> We heard there are toilet areas where you tip-toe thru the Charmin.
>> In our 1500 miles we may have stayed at only 4 shelters.
>>                       Bogey
>* From the Appalachian Trail Mailing List | For info
http://www.hack.net/lists *

This is a joke right? The Smokies have the worst and most ravaged shelters
on the trail.  They consist of a double layer bunk system which is not quite
tall enough on either level.  They are rated to sleep 8-12 people (+/-), but
we had 16 or so most nights.  Sleeping decks are of wood with small dividers
between (which you can sleep across when full)   Privacy is non-existent
(change in sleeping bag if modest).  Unfortunately, privies are also non
existent.  Yes the woods are a discusting sight, and you'ld better filter
water.  The fence is about 5 to 8 feet in front of the bunks (but still
under roof)  All of the shelters have a fireplace off to one side, but the
areas around the shelter have been stripped of firewood.  Mice, raccoons,
skunks, and bears are common, so hang everything.