[at-l] re:Introductions and request for suggestions re: gear! (long)

hi craig:

>>> I am considering buying the ARC'TERYX Bora 70 from MEC.
>>>any other pack manufacturers that produce high quality
lower priced packs?

i have heard good things about arcteryx - ask needles for his opinion.
check out the kelty lockdown series of internal frame packs.

>>>I am interested in the Sierra Design Clip Flashlight .. it seems to
be a reasonably priced tent and light. I am not interested in a bivy at this
time because I would like to be able to use the tent with a friend where
necessary.

the flashlight is almost standard issue on the at.  you might also look at
the walrus arch rival or swift (smaller version) - good tents, cheaper than
SD.  eureka makes some good lightweight backpacking tents moderately
priced.  also the kelty windfoil ultralight (not really ULTRAlight, but a
good deal).

>>>I am wondering what you guys / gals think about z-rests. I have
friends who love 'em and other who would go thermarest ... is there a
significant weight difference .. I seem to remember reading about z-rests
weighing lower .. and definitely the price is right!

i've heard that z-rests begin to weaken in the joints after prolonged use -
better off getting a regular ridge rest, which you can "train" to be a
z-rest by folding the same way each time.  i know of a full length ridge
rest that did the AT in 92 and the PCT in 96 and is still going strong.
ridge rest is also cheaper than the z-rest.  cheaper and lighter than the
thermarests.  not as comfortable - but it depends on your frame of mind.
on a budget, just get a generic closed-cell ensolite pad.

>>>Water filters ... I know next to nothing about these .. except
reading of course! I have never used one and that is the main reason for
lack of knowledge. Some guidance would be much appreciated!

go to a good outfitter and try them all out.  most places now let you do
that.  the main thing about filters is finding one that that is easy to
"field maintain" (try this at the store too) and READING THE DIRECTIONS ON
HOW BEST TO USE IT TO PROLONG LIFE.  they are all slightly different.
filters are very finicky.  i had an MSR on my 92 thruhike, only year 2 of
that filter.  i did not meet another hiker that liked the filter.  i loved
it.  i carried the instructions with it and learned how to clean it and
used all of MSR's tips and suggestions, including efferdent to clean the
filter screen.  worked like a dream and had very few problems once i began
filtering from a water bag that has been sitting still for a while, not
directly from a stream.  i have a PUR hiker now, and love this one too.  i
tend to do all the little maintenance tips at almost every filter.  v.
easy, works great.

>>>I've been looking at the MEC Zephyr Plus XLT rated at about -7Celsius ..
22...
24F?? Would that be enough for the early days of March/April in Northern GA?
I think most people start with a 20F bag correct? Then I could switch when
the temp rises to my summer bag and then again in colder temps at the end
right?

you're thinking along the right lines.  it all depends on how cold a
sleeper you are.  most people prefer a warmer bag for early march start.  i
used a 15F SD bag, but i also had a bivy sac that made it warmer when
needed.  i bought a 40F bag in PA (could have used it sooner), and got my
15F back at hanover.

it's a never-ending quest...

mike
ke kaahawe

Michael Henderson		mikeh@royalrobbins.com

Mountaineers are always free -- State motto West Virginia