[at-l] re: trangia westwind

>At 09:28 PM 3/26/97 PST, Jim Mayer wrote:
>Test conclusions:
>
>The stove is light, convenient, environmentally correct, and slow as
>molasses.  I'm going to try it out this summer.  I think it will suit me
>just fine.
>
>I should add that some other folks I've talked to have different
>impressions of the speed of Trangia stoves.  They were not using the
>Westwind, but since all Trangia stoves use the same burner I would assume
>performaces should be similar.
>
>Possible sources of differences:
>
>(1) stove design
>(2) alcohol type and quality
>(3) water and air temperature
>(4) "boil time" vs. "cook time"
>(5) "boil time" vs. "prime gas stove and boil time"
>
>- -- Jim

i have had a trangia since 1983.  recently it spends its time in the
garage, but i've started using it more since reading this list.  i just got
a westwind (note: burners are all identical, differences are in the type of
stand/windscreen that comes with it).  some of my thoughts:

yes it is slow, but i have found that there is alot you can do while that
first litre of water is boiling.  when using the trangia, the first thing i
do when getting to camp, assuming i'm eating soon, is light the stove and
get water going.  then i set up the tent, roll out the bag, change clothes
etc.  water always boils before i'm finished with all the little chores.
so who needs a fast stove?

speed does matter when trying to get an "alpine start" in the morning,
cooking a hot lunch, and generally anytime it's cold.  but for summer
hiking, the trangia is great.

about boiling times:
the westwind is inefficient compared to the regular stove with special
stand and windscreen, which is designed to create optimum airflow.  i
boiled 3/4L of outdoor tap water in 8 1/2 mins, including setup time, which
isn't much.  the advantage of the westwind, of course, is weight, but must
be balanced by additional fuel required.

the problem with being a gear weenie is deciding on which piece of cool
equipment you want to use for that next hike.  i have a trangia, an MSR,
and a Peak 1 butane/propane, and i love them all...

mike
ke kaahawe

Michael Henderson		mikeh@royalrobbins.com

Mountaineers are always free -- State motto West Virginia