[at-l] PRIVY - OUTHOUSE - ETC, Review 1993.

   Have not checked this out lately, BUT,,, at the url:

   http://www.lehigh.edu/~ludas/interesting/privy.html

   There is a critique of various outhouse/latrines/privies/etc,,, by "the
Porcelain Dreamer" AT-93...

   It could use an update, just a little dated, but fun to read..

At 11:33 PM 3/26/97 EST, Gweneeth Conklin wrote:
>Oh the wonderful world of privies, a girls best friend!  I have a nice
>collection of photographs of all the privies I've visited on the AT.  I've
>always wanted to thank the people that do the design, construction and
>maintenance on these hallowed establishments.  They are much appreciated and
>gives a person a sense of dignity and a reminder of civilization in the
>wilderness.   Your thread has brought back memories of a wealth of funny
>stories surrounding the thrones on the AT.  Thanks
>Gweneeth
>"Lone Wolverine"
><snip>
>From: PaddyBeer@aol.com
>Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 14:12:10 -0500 (EST)
>Ever since doing the VTsection in 1995 and encountering the toilet with the
>phantom walls (Mad Tom Shelter) just before a state of the art facility in
>one of the notches (relax, yee southern hikers, that is the real word for
>gap), I have felt that we have missed out on recognizing the particularly
>appropriate facility each season.  Now, I realize that Garvey did this for
>shelters, but not for privies.
>So please, let's recognize the all too frequently appreciated facilities and
>keep track of the places that you, eh, "go to" this season.  But what would
>the winner get?

     take care,,,

            Dick & Lyn  Wix
           ( Rochester, MN )